Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
It's actually fortunate you didn't try to root just for the NYTimes. Looking again, I see even the phone version of the app can't be installed on the Kindle, at least not directly from Android Market, so you would have gone to a lot of trouble for nothing.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I haven't noticed any difference in the phone version and the tablet version of the NY Times. Others have complained about this as well in the Android Market. It's as if they just stuck the word tablet on there and called it a day.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
How do you determine "legitimate"? Just curious. We know that Android Market is controlled by Google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market

The Amazon Appstore is obviously controlled by Amazon.

Both are backed up by considerable user feedback, so if malware is involved, we can expect comments posted. I don't know the source of these "alternative" app locations, and I generally don't see user feedback.
By "legitimate", I mean that they are honest resellers of applications, rather than warez sites. Most I've learned about when trying to buy an app and it wasn't on the Android or Amazon market, so I wrote the developer and they pointed me at these sites. (Lots of stuff not on Amazon because Amazon takes a huge chunk of the receipts - not just the margin, but in the Free App Of The Day, which winds up COSTING a lot of money in support.) See PDASSI, Opera's appstore, AndroidPit, andappstore/soc.io, GetJar, Handango (an oldie - they were an app store for the Palm, but also a bit unethical in that you have to pay $5 up front if you want to be able to redownload ever), MobiHand (another old timer), SlideMe (probably the most famous one) and AndroidGear. There are probably many others; those are the ones I know of offhand.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
lear2003
htdtfbufuubfyipeeeeee
lear2003 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
help help help, i am in the uk so do not have access to the amazon appstore, i have rooted my device but i am unable to install GO Launcher ex, any advice would be much appreciated
lear2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear2003 View Post
help help help, i am in the uk so do not have access to the amazon appstore, i have rooted my device but i am unable to install GO Launcher ex, any advice would be much appreciated
This link <http://www.multiupload.com/DGMBZZNOXM> has an archive file containing many useful apps and the file that you are looking for - reference this thread on XDA-Developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1351283
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #21
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you trying to launch Android Market? If so, you don't need GO Launcher. I would not recommend installing a Launcher just for that. Look at the Market Opener link in the first post of this thread.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #22
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear2003 View Post
Lear, being in Germany, I had the same problem and solved it by getting a usUnlocked debit card and US mailing address (thanks to user FRIKTION for the tip of going to www.usunlocked.com ). Took a few days and cost ~ 20 $, but now I can load apps from the Amazon marketplace, and do not have to root my kindle.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #23
Dolorous Edd
Dolorous Edd began at the beginning.

Device: K3/Fire
Thanks for the guide, easier to follow than most of the others. Just some notes from my root process.

1) I was prompted to install busybox, I wasn't sure if I needed it, however later in the guide it becomes apparent that you do. When prompted to install busybox go ahead and do it.

2) To save time browse to the directory in question, press shift and right click to start a command prompt in that directory. it will save time trying to figure out path statements.

3) when you install android market you will need to log into an existing account or create one. Minor detail but if you have the account already make sure you have your log in information.

I installed youtube prior to the root however it crashed after the root, it was fixed with an uninstall and reinstall through android market. I don't know if the root caused the break, or possibly the android market install.

Market opener is a must, OTA rootkeeper is also a must if you want to keep the ability to stream video, a reboot of the kindle is required to switch between rooted and unrooted.
Dolorous Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #24
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
Thanks for the guide, easier to follow than most of the others. Just some notes from my root process.

1) I was prompted to install busybox, I wasn't sure if I needed it, however later in the guide it becomes apparent that you do. When prompted to install busybox go ahead and do it.

2) To save time browse to the directory in question, press shift and right click to start a command prompt in that directory. it will save time trying to figure out path statements.

3) when you install android market you will need to log into an existing account or create one. Minor detail but if you have the account already make sure you have your log in information.

I installed youtube prior to the root however it crashed after the root, it was fixed with an uninstall and reinstall through android market. I don't know if the root caused the break, or possibly the android market install.

Market opener is a must, OTA rootkeeper is also a must if you want to keep the ability to stream video, a reboot of the kindle is required to switch between rooted and unrooted.
Good points. Glad it worked!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
Dolorous Edd
Dolorous Edd began at the beginning.

Device: K3/Fire
Quote:
Thanks for the guide, Made things easier.
Dolorous Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Guide does look good. I will say this though. Everyone who roots and plays around with Android needs to buy Root Explorer. That little program makes life soo much easier. Just my opinion.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote