Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Kobo locks up on this ePub

I made a very simple ePub book using calibre:

1) simple HTML headers
2) the Gutenburg text for Pride and Prejudice
{No, I'm not interested in a better version of P&P, I just
needed a plain text file to reproduce a problem I first
had with a copywrited work.)
3) convert to HTML to MOBI using calibre
4) convert to MOBI to ePub using calibre (0.8.11)
5) load ePub to Kobo using calibre
6) go to page 99

At this point the Kobo locks up. You can restart it, but it remembers that it's supposed to be on page 99, so if you reopen the book it locks up again.

The HTML (and the HTML in the ePub) looks fine and ordinary. The ePub looks great in calibre. It seems to be a Kobo-specific problem. I haven't been able to figure what the rule is, but if it get's figured out it would be nice to have calibre implement it. While I'm on the "it would be nice" front, did everybody else know you have to convert to MOBI on the way to ePub? I'm thinking I should put in a feature request saying that the "do you want to use the default transformation?" function should default to ->Mobi->ePub for the Kobo device.

Sample files in this post .
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Every device out there that reads epub has different sets of hang ups. See here for a far from exhaustive list: http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/wiki/ReaderQuirks

From what I'm hearing about the Kobo Touch, it seems to be a particularly buggy device. Probably was rushed to markey too son to beat the other 2011 reader releases.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
You could look at the setting under Convert / ePub Output and make sure that you have something like 290 in the box for split files larger than..... I've had problems in the Sony if that is a larger figure.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
You could look at the setting under Convert / ePub Output and make sure that you have something like 290 in the box for split files larger than..... I've had problems in the Sony if that is a larger figure.
Very Interesting. In comparing the EPUBs that the Kobo likes and the one that barf's it, this parameter seems to make a difference. When it is set at 100 KB, it makes a lot of HTML files in the EPUB container (zip), but not more bytes total. The result is much more responsive operation of the Kobo, though a goto page that skips 100 pages still takes a while.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote