Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Trouble with one file

Due to recent events with Amazon and the possible future inability to self-archive my Amazon books, I began a process of downloading and saving my Amazon books to my computer and importing them to calibre. I am using the latest version of calibre and tools 4.5 (this process is something I routinely do with non-Amazon books, but with my ability to buy and send Amazon books directly to my K3, I have been lax about saving and converting my Amazon stash.)

All files have been d/l and imported successfully with one exception: a free book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_myk_ro_title

I can read it with K4PC, but when I import the 3.8MB file into calibre and try to open it, all I get is a lengthy process to open the book only to find two pages; the cover page followed by a blank page.

Is there something funky about this file or could I have done something wrong in the process?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try converting the book to epub you will get more detailed info in the conversion log. Generally when MOBI files fail to work in calibre, its because they were damaged by the drm removal process.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Thanks kovid. And then convert back to mobi?

Edit: I found the mobi version and used the convert books button to output epub. The conversion took about 1:26. The epub version opens quickly in the calibre reader, but still only has the same two pages.

Should I try instead to import the original file but have it converted to epub instead of mobi? Then do the epub to mobi conversion?

Edit 2: alas, I cannot find any info on conversion logs. I searched the help site for conversion logs and just the word "logs", but no hits.

Last edited by speedlever; 07-20-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just meant convert and look at the conversion log, that will tell you if the MOBI is damaged or not.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
jimmybbell
Jimmy B.
jimmybbell began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Where is the conversion log?
jimmybbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

click the rotating spinner in the bottom right to get a list of jobs, double click on the job to see its log
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
speedlever
Fanatic

Thanks. Thought that was probably what you meant, but saw nothing. I probably had other activity that erased the log.

I'm having trouble with this one file. I'm trying to import it now in ePub format, but calibre only imports it as mobi, regardless how I change and apply preferences. My calibre lack of expertise is showing. There's no DRM that I can see either.

I'll study up on it and report back later. I've been in a comfy spot with how I use calibre and now i'm having to do something different and must be missing something.

I did a file conversion to epub at one point, but the 3.8MB file still only shows up as 2 pages.

I'm also puzzled as to how K4PC finds this file. Using everything search, I can't find it on my computer except in my calibre library, but that's another issue. I'm sure that K4PC is not reading the file from my calibre library. I think.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Thanks. Thought that was probably what you meant, but saw nothing. I probably had other activity that erased the log.
If you think the log was erased then convert the file from mobi to epub again. We can't help you without viewing the log file.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
speedlever
Fanatic

Here's the conversion log going from mobi to epub. Again, I just get two pages for a final result, the front cover and a blank page (just like the mobi.)

For some reason, I am having trouble converting the original file from azw to epub. I can do azw to mobi, then mobi to epub.

I fear my calibre knowledge is lacking here.
Spoiler:

Convert book 1 of 1 (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.10
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'c:\\users\\rick\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre_0 .8.10_tmp_ozfszs\\calibre_0.8.10_qc2j2n.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'epub_flatten': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'flow_size': 260,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x058A4AF0>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_default_epub_cover': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_svg_cover': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x058A4E10>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'c:\\users\\rick\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre_0 .8.10_tmp_ozfszs\\calibre_0.8.10_mk757n.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on c:\users\rick\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.10_tm p_ozfszs\calibre_0.8.10_baosrz.mobi
Extracting text...
Adding anchors...
Extracting images...
Cleaning up HTML...
Parsing HTML...
Malformed markup, parsing using BeautifulSoup
Markup contains multiple <html> tags, merging.
Converting style information to CSS...
Creating OPF...
Parsing all content...
Parsing dummy.html ...
Forcing dummy.html into XHTML namespace
Parsing styles.css ...
Generating default TOC from spine...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Auto generated TOC with 0 entries.
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming 'images/00002.jpg' from manifest
Trimming 'images/00001.jpg' from manifest
Creating EPUB Output...
Rescaling image from 600x921 to 401x616 cover.jpeg
Looking for large trees in dummy.html...
No large trees found
This EPUB file has no Table of Contents. Creating a default TOC
EPUB output written to c:\users\rick\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.10_tm p_ozfszs\calibre_0.8.10_xxfplf.epub

Last edited by theducks; 07-20-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Wrap log in spoiler
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
speedlever
Fanatic

And does this make any sense? (From my calibre library)

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
speedlever
Fanatic

And trying to open the mobi version again, I got this error msg after several minutes loading:

Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Parsing HTML...
Malformed markup, parsing using BeautifulSoup
Markup contains multiple <html> tags, merging.

in the log tell you that your MOBI file is damaged. calibre could not recover fromt he damage.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
speedlever
Fanatic

Thanks. Is that likely a defect in the original file? A problem with the download? A problem in the conversion? Or is that possible to know?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #14
speedlever
Fanatic

kovid,

Here's a question for you.

Going through the wizard, calibre is set up for my Kindle (mobi.) Why am I unable to enter preferences/behavior, change the desired output from mobi to epub, and then import a file as epub? calibre insists on importing is as mobi, regardless of my settings in behavior.

I'm missing something basic here. I thought I would import the problem book in a different format to see if I get the same result rather than convert the bad mobi file into an epub.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I'm missing something basic here. I thought I would import the problem book in a different format to see if I get the same result rather than convert the bad mobi file into an epub.
If you import a mobi file it will be added to the library as a mobi file. If you import a epub file it will be added to the library as a epub file. No conversions happen during adding a book to the library. The desired output setting is your conversion preference output.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote