Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Browsing for ebooks

In my experience, the none of ebook stores has a very satisfying experience shopping for books.

Amazon has the best selection, but it works best if I am looking for specific book or author. If I want to simply browse, the experience is quite frustrating for me. I like to browse to see what books are new since the last time I visited, however, so many independent publishers are gaming the system to get their books at the front of the list, I have to wade through three pages of self published or PD stuff to see the one or two books that I actually might be interested in. Plus a lot of books seem to be put in the wrong category. I don't know if they depend on the publisher to put in the correct information, but it really needs to be cleaned up, a lot.

Sony's web site is much better, but you can't buy from the website, only the eBook Library, which which much improved from the original, suffers from not having tabs and being single threaded. I find myself with both the Sony website and the Sony eBook Library application open, using the web version to browse and just putting in the author's name in the store when I see something I want to buy.

B&N's website isn't much different than Sony's and you can buy from the website, but it appears that they are still bringing it up to speed. The last time that I used it, it would crash when I selected the show 100 books rather than 10. They seem to have fixed that one, so I will need to play with it a bit.

I've tried a couple of the ebook websites that aren't associated with a specific reader, but all seem a bit dated.

Hopefully, with all the competition, they will improve the experience. Here are some of the things that I would like.

1) Notification when they get something in from a favored author. Sony claims to do this, but I've never received a notification from them. Perhaps it's just me.

2) Putting a book in a wishlist. Amazon sort of has this, but I'm talking about the way that Audible.com implements it. Basically, it's a way of saying, I'm interested in this book, but I'm not ready to buy it at the moment. Keep it in a list for me, so I can come back to it at a later date.

3) All the stores have the ability to search, but for the most part, it only works well where searching for a specific author. For example, I might want to find a book on the Eastern Front in WW II. Using that as a search pulls back a couple of books on Amazon. Doing the same search on Sony yields 15 books, though I was unaware that D-Day and the Yom Kippur War occurred in the Eastern Front. In neither case did the search pull back books that I was looking for.

I'm sure other people have other things that they would like, but right now, the best buying experience that I've seen have been Audible.com and the iTunes store. Amazon use to be pretty good, but they just seem to have gotten a bit sloppy with the ebooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hm, I have not had that experience. Most bookstores I use (neither of which is Amazon or Sony as they don't sell to me) have a wishlist. Haven't tried the notification yet as I usually know what I am looking for (I use brochures for new books, references in other books, recommendations and the library search engine to find related books).

And yes, eBook stores are relatively new - so if you find anything that might improve the shopping experience, why not send them an email? I'm sure most would appreciate your feedback
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Erm.... Amazon definitely has a Wish List function, they've had it for years, and yes you can add ebooks to your wish list (though the process is not very straightforward). You can also sample a book you're interested in, and buy it later at any time.

Doing a search for "eastern front world war ii" brought up quite a few items -- in fact, probably more than what you would find at a typical small bookstore. Plus you could sample a dozen books and peruse them at your leisure.

Plus, almost every site now has a "recommendation" feature. It may not be ideal but it usually works about as well as looking at the spine of a book.

Notifications could be handy; Amazon does have an email notification feature, but only for "new products" based on stuff you've already purchased, i.e. not a lot of fine control.

Browsing paper books has its advantages, but IMO the virtues of the "analog experience" tend to be a bit overblown and romanticized; most physical bookstores carry a fraction of the number of titles of most ebook stores. Amazon in particular has spent about a decade working on its sales pages, and while far from perfect, seems to work well enough to gain a huge chunk of the market and dozens of imitators.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I usually find Amazon the best for browsing/discovering new authors and reminding me of authors I meant to read. I'm still waiting for a website to give the same experience that last.fm does for music.

With last.fm you can listen to snippets of mp3s and view similar artists. Other music fans contribute comments and discuss the band and similar bands. I'd like to see a book site with that level of discovery involved - other readers giving tips on similar authors/books and the ability to listen to/read blurbs of the books and sample chapters which other readers have reccomended. Amazon kind of does it, but doesn't have the same level of interactivity and discovery.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Amazon has a wish list,the Sony ebook store also has one (I very often put books on the list for purchase later.....)

Lately what I have been doing (more so since I got the ipod touch) is that I shop for books at B&N and while I am there I compare and put things on a "to read " list. I get recommendations from the stores,based on what I've bought prior....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
"Eastern Front World War 2" yields 2 books when limited to the kindle section. "Eastern Front World War II" yields 11 books.

As I said, Amazon does have wish list, but it's more of a list of things you want others to buy for you rather than what I describe, which is more of a list of books that I'm interested in but not ready to buy.

I do like Amazon's suggestion feature, though it will suggest books that I have already bought, so it could use a bit of refining.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Fictionwise has wishlists and notifications. I have never tried to use a notification, but I have used the wishlist feature.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote