Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Kindle NowNow is great!

To test out Kindle NowNow I asked a pretty complicated medical question regarding an herbal supplement compared with a conventional medicine. Within less than 5 minutes, I received an answer which referenced examples in the medical literature, answered my question unambiguously, and was very easy for the average person to understand.

I am totally shocked that this service is free. Does it work like Google Answers, in that the answer is archived and made available to the public after it is asked? If so, that would be fabulous.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't know if they're archived but I wanted to mention that a NowNow worker was in here once and mentioned that they don't get paid unless their answer is well-rated, so if you haven't already you may want to do that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
honeybunny
Connoisseur

I rated it right away. I actually got a second, even better response from a different person. I didn't expect two great responses!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Just don't ask questions about the kindle:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19937

It is a great pity that Google answers was closed. I used to spend a fair amount of time there.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Is Nownow some people skillfully using Google to answer questions?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
honeybunny
Connoisseur

It probably is. They get paid by Amazon to do research for us. It's a similar service as Google Answers, only the asker doesn't have to pay. It's in Experimental so it could get taken away at any time, I guess.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
rocky1938
rocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litter

Device: potential Kindle user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Is Nownow some people skillfully using Google to answer questions?
(I'm one of said "Now Now" workers )

Pretty much we do the research for you...certainly nothing you couldn't do for yourself.

BTW, as the other poster alluded to, please refrain from asking us questions relating to Kindle support or troubleshooting. We've been sternly warned numerous times by Amazon to either not respond to these types of questions or to provide a boilerplate response which includes support options (their email address and 800-number) which you're to direct support questions to. Also, if you do receive one of these responses directing you to contact support, please don't respond with a junk vote...we're only doing what we're told.
rocky1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Just don't ask questions about the kindle:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19937

It is a great pity that Google answers was closed. I used to spend a fair amount of time there.
Think they'd mind if we asked Sony Reader questions instead?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
rocky1938
rocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litterrocky1938 doesn't litter

Device: potential Kindle user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Think they'd mind if we asked Sony Reader questions instead?
Knock yourself out
rocky1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1938 View Post
(I'm one of said "Now Now" workers )
How do you become one of these "workers?" Is it a part time, whenever you feel like it, at home type thing?
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
NowNow with sub-folders

I used NowNow. Excellent service. However I did get 5 replies. Interestingly they appeared on my Kindle as just one entry in the listing, but on tapping into the item it expanded to show the 5 replies. Now if only they would introduce this for books, so you could store them by general categories, tap into them to get the full category listing. I am sure this is something that must be on the development table - Sony can do it on theit PRS505.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote