Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
hartyewh
hartyewh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help an eReader newbie!

Hi,

so here's the deal. I'm trying to find out about the latest eReaders and the technology in general since I've never even touched one. I live in Finland and there doesn't seem to be any place where I could go to look at the Nooks and Kindles, only some of the more vague-ish brands that don't really seem to interest me.
The Paperwhite and Fire HD are the first ones that caught my eye, but I'm starting to think that maybe neither is what I'm looking for (the best of both might be what I want). And I'm not that interested in buying a proper tablet (with an appropriate price-tag) since reading is all I'd most likely use it for.

My ideal eReader would something like this: something suitable for several hours of reading (contrast, luminosity etc. Presumably much like the Paperwhite), "hassleless" user-experience (I'd actually prefer a simple folder view and a mp3-player -like drag-n-drop functionality) and sufficient format support (functions between and within formats), which leads to my questions (asked in general, while having Paperwhite and Fire HD in mind):

1) How is the screen-size and resolution for reading something like study materials (800+ page books with fairly large pages and smallish text)?

2) When an eReader supports a format, say for example PDF, it's probably limited in some ways? What if my material has horizontal pages or if the layout is non-standard in other ways?

3) About the overall use of an eReader. Let's say you get one (e.g. some Kindle). What's the basic operation like compared to like an Ipod (iTunes and other usability annoyances) vs any other mp3-player (drag-n-drop, life's good!)? How does Amazon stick it's moneygrubbing face into the operation (how bothersome are the ads on Paperwhite and so on?).

4) What's the browsing of ones collection (let's say the Paperwhites' announced capacity of 1,100 books) like? All I've seen is a view with a few book-covers that doesn't look too promising...

So if anyone could enlighten me in regard to any of these questions it'd be very much appreciated! Primarily I'm thinking in terms of Paperwhite vs Fire HD, but all other comparisons and recommendations are equally welcome!
hartyewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartyewh View Post
1) How is the screen-size and resolution for reading something like study materials (800+ page books with fairly large pages and smallish text)?
I would strongly suggest you to investigate the Onyx subforum here, especially the Onyx Boox M92. If most of your reading will be study books you need a greater screen (ca. 10"), be it on a eink or lcd device.

And, hartyewh, welcome to MobileRead!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
hartyewh

Okay, thanks. I'll check it out! Good point about the screen size. Regardless of the ppi a smaller screen might be a bit more difficult for prolonged use.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
hartyewh

After checking out the M92 I came to the conclusion that it's a bit pricier than I'd like, especially since it doesn't offer much with regard to resolution and a few video reviews noted some other weaknesses or at least less than great aspects of it and at a price of 350€ I'm not that keen. But thanks for the tip regardless, the M92 had many functions that were well suited for what I was looking for.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
The M92's videos are old. There is some new improvements and features, look at Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party apps for Onyx Boox M92. The device it's really better.

1/ I've tried with my 6", but it's not possible. A big screen is necessary. Only some EPUB files are usable, but the pictures are a problem : too small. With the M92, you can annotate the texts.

2/ With the M92, there is no problem. You can define the zoom level, you can read in landscape mode too, read multicolumn documents, etc.

3/ I'm not sure to understand your question. The M92 is seen like an USB key and can play MP3 files.

4/ On the M92 you have a filesystem. You makes your folders and put your files in. When you have many documents, it's more interesting. You can use an SD card.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
hartyewh

After looking at some larger eReaders (as advised by Billi) I came across the Fire HD 8.9, which I didn't know about before since it's not yet released in Europe. I'm quite interested since it offers some nice toy-usage possibilities (with the full hd screen) for a nice price.

Does anyone have experience with at least 2 hours (preferably 4+)) of reading with a Fire HD? (the smaller I assume is very similar when it comes to "eye fatigue" and such).

And about using it: how free from anything third-party can I expect to be with a Fire HD 8.9 with the ads removed? Any contact with Amazon? Can I basically just use without ever putting it online?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
hartyewh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
3/ I'm not sure to understand your question. The M92 is seen like an USB key and can play MP3 files.
Yeah, not the most easily understood question ever I'll agree. What I meant was that do I need to use any software on my pc (like with apple products you're stuck with iTunes) to copy to or convert pdf's for the device , do I need to do any registration/sign up or be in any way connected to some third party (Amazon)? I have a lot of pdf material to do with my studies and work that I'd need to view and some of the work stuff is confidential so I couldn't use the cloud services for that, but are the locally saved files in any way connected to Amazon etc.? I was talking about something along these lines...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't use a Fire in Finland. At least, no apps will be available to you from the Amazon appstore, and you can't stream movies, etc. from Amazon.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Yeah, not the most easily understood question ever I'll agree. What I meant was that do I need to use any software on my pc (like with apple products you're stuck with iTunes) to copy to or convert pdf's for the device , do I need to do any registration/sign up or be in any way connected to some third party (Amazon)? I have a lot of pdf material to do with my studies and work that I'd need to view and some of the work stuff is confidential so I couldn't use the cloud services for that, but are the locally saved files in any way connected to Amazon etc.? I was talking about something along these lines...
The M92 is seen like an USB key. There is only one registration possible, it's for the DRM, that's all. If you can use an USB key with your software, you can use the M92.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I understand that 350 Euros are a lot of money. I have the Onyx Boox i62 which is a 6" device (like the Kindle Paperwhite) and otherwise much the same as the M92. It is possible to read study books in landscape mode on it but it's not very convenient as study books are created for bigger screens. I can't tell you if it would be acceptable for you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
...(I'd actually prefer a simple folder view and a mp3-player -like drag-n-drop functionality)
As far as I know, only the French Cybook ereaders do this out-of-the-box. I'm sure there are some others, but none of the big players. The Sony 650 / 350 can do this with Prs+, but they are no longer made. Check out the Kindle Duokan software. Maybe it offers it.

Quote:

2) When an eReader supports a format, say for example PDF, it's probably limited in some ways? What if my material has horizontal pages or if the layout is non-standard in other ways?
Be aware, the PW handles pdfs poorly. They don't do reflow. I know the Touch didn't do landscape. Maybe the PW is the same. You need landscape for pdfs. Sonys are the best for handling pdfs. In landscape the divide the page into two and magnify so its readable. They also reflow the text. A tablet is best for pdf, but not for your eye-sight.

Quote:
3) About the overall use of an eReader. Let's say you get one (e.g. some Kindle). What's the basic operation like compared to like an Ipod (iTunes and other usability annoyances) vs any other mp3-player (drag-n-drop, life's good!)? How does Amazon stick it's moneygrubbing face into the operation (how bothersome are the ads on Paperwhite and so on?).
The Fire OS is very restrictive. Read the low-star reviews on Amazon. I've read you can root it, but I don't know.

Quote:
4) What's the browsing of ones collection (let's say the Paperwhites' announced capacity of 1,100 books) like? All I've seen is a view with a few book-covers that doesn't look too promising...

Don't know, but learn to use Calibre.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote