Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Comparison Table: Basic features/Pricing - Kindle Fire HD w/ Google Nexus, iPad mini

After today's announcements, I did a quick comparison table of the most searched basic features and pricing for each tablet.

It was illuminating. I'm really surprised Apple would put out a tablet thats larger than the two most popular Android-based ones and yet give it lower resolution while charging quite a bit more, especially for the 32GB model (Nexus is coming out with that Oct 29 or so).

Hoping it'll be useful for a few others.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2012...son-table.html
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Also take into account that the iPad can run iPhone apps and will use Retina resources of every app so it scales without pixelating. So 700,000 apps in total can run on the iPad Mini.

The iPad also has a feature called AirPlay Mirroring which can be used to mirror your screen/videos/etc to an Apple TV hooked up to a TV or on your Mac/PC with just a click of a button, permitting it's all on the same network. There will however be HDMI cables switching out soon, and that just hooks up to your Lightning port.

You should also note that the cable is really fast, and can zip 3GB of data in just under two minutes unlike microUSB.

RAM is 512MB, as per the A5 chip specifications.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

iPhone apps on my iPad3 are a joke. Yes they scale up without much pixelization, though there is some, but what a fricking waste of screen. They look like a kindergartener wrote an app. I think she is right to exclude apps not specifically written for a large screen tablet.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think you need to stress the prices as well. We hear a lot about the 16GB iPad mini model, but they are also releasing 32GB and 64GB models.

iPad mini
16GB = $329
32GB = $429
64GB = $529

Each additional 16GB cost and extra $100!

Fire HD
16GB = $199 (that is 60% of the iPad mini price)
32GB = $249 (that is 58% of the iPad mini price)
64GB = N/A

Each additional 16GB cost and extra $50, half as much as greedy Apple!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-24-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
It was illuminating. I'm really surprised Apple would put out a tablet thats larger than the two most popular Android-based ones and yet give it lower resolution while charging quite a bit more, especially for the 32GB model (Nexus is coming out with that Oct 29 or so).
Thanks to Amazon for pricing the Fire HD at $199 (16GB) and $249 (32GB). It's forcing Google to respond likewise. A 16GB Nexus 7 is not enough for me. I need more and 32GB will do quite nicely.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Jessica, Jack, and tubemonkey
I incorporated what Jessica wrote and didn't see the other two before coming back here (they don't show up in email), but I did include pricing for 32GB models for each yesterday. That keeps it simple and even then shows that with 32GB the 163 ppi iPad mini is $429 to the $249 of the other two at 216 ppi.

I added today, since the almost-8" iPad mini IS $429,
that the almost-9" Kindle Fire HD model is $299 for 16 GB and $369 for 32GB.
- This is with the iPad Mini at 163 ppi and the KFHD 8.9" at 254 ppi.

Will leave the LTE models for later. Should do a separate table for them as it can get too confusing otherwise, which is why I kept it to the most basic features.

Thanks for the help here.
I did add in a parenthetical in smaller font re the iPhone apps, since Google Play also includes many minimal phone apps...

- Andrys
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
- This is with the iPad Mini at 163 ppi and the KFHD 8.9" at 254 ppi.
Yeah, resolution on the mini is really lacking compared to the retina displays found on the the Fire HD 8.9 and Nook HD+.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
andrys
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, resolution on the mini is really lacking compared to the retina displays found on the the Fire HD 8.9 and Nook HD+.
If they had just put a front-facing phone into the Nook Tablet HD for Skype, they would have gotten a large part of market share. This way they're still not being discussed much, despite that great screen resolution.

But what kills it for me is that they won't allow owners to just enable the installation of apps from other sources, which Amazon does allow. A godsend.

I enjoy the satellite Google Maps on the KFire HD a lot! But then about 99% of apps I've wanted from Google Play and which I can get from 1mobile.com or getjar.com stores do work fine. I don't play a lot of games though. I think they're likely to have less compatability.