Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
Loading epub books wirelessly

I'm having trouble locating an app that can load epub files wirelessly. It is possible to read epub files within ibooks, but to do that I have to connect to a computer and sync with itunes, which takes time and I would rather not. Lots of apps can load PDF, but haven't found one for epub yet. Any recommendations? These are not DRM protected files. Thanks.
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Zero
Zero began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle
Have you tried Stanza? they can load it wirelessly without itunes: http://www.lexcycle.com/faq/how_to_g..._stanza_iphone
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can do it with ibooks with Calibre's content server via Safari browser. I know the instructions on how to do it is posted on the calibre site but can't find it at the moment.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
If you can download it with Safari, (ie from a website or calibre's content server) you can use the "open in" function of iOS with iBooks, Stanza, Kobo and Bluefire reader (epubs).
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
If you can download it with Safari, (ie from a website or calibre's content server) you can use the "open in" function of iOS with iBooks, Stanza, Kobo and Bluefire reader (epubs).
Or send it as an email attachment to an account set up on the iOS Mail client. Or download using Dropbox.

The key is that app has to register for the 'open in' function.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
In Quickreader you can browse all of your calibre-library like the books were on your iDevice. If you want to download the book, just press the download-button (you have to enter the server information, your PC, though).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
eli2k

Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone! The only epub reader I have is ibooks, which seems to be fine for reading so far, so I'll see if I can email the file to myself or install an http server on my computer to access the files through safari. My favorite PDF reader is Folio since it's very fast to use, no problems at all.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone! The only epub reader I have is ibooks, which seems to be fine for reading so far, so I'll see if I can email the file to myself or install an http server on my computer to access the files through safari.
Here's the info from Calibre

"Start the Safari browser and type in the IP address and port of the computer running the calibre server, like this:

http://192.168.1.2:8080/

Replace 192.168.1.2 with the local IP address of the computer running calibre. If you have changed the port the calibre content server is running on, you will have to change 8080 as well to the new port. The local IP address is the IP address you computer is assigned on your home network. A quick Google search will tell you how to find out your local IP address.

You wills ee a list of books in Safari, just click on the epub link for whichever book you want to read, Safari will then prompt you to open it with iBooks."

Which can be found here if you scroll down.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ghlight=ibooks

and Calibre's homepage: http://calibre-ebook.com/
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
eli2k

Thanks for looking up the info, Merlock. I'm also going to put up a link to http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/ - it's a compact program that sets up an easy HTTP server that you set up quickly.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
eugenemcardle
eugenemcardle began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thank you MerLock. That info on getting books from Calibre into iBooks wirelesly is invaluable. That was one of only two issues I have with Calibre and iBooks; the other is I can find no way of geetig the comments field with the book, as you can with Stanza. That would make Calibre the PERFECT program. As it stands, it is only PERFECt
eugenemcardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
eugenemcardle
eugenemcardle began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Thanks for looking up the info, Merlock. I'm also going to put up a link to http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/ - it's a compact program that sets up an easy HTTP server that you set up quickly.
If you found using that server easy, you should manage Calibre's server with your eyes closed.
eugenemcardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
MerLock
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenemcardle View Post
Thank you MerLock. That info on getting books from Calibre into iBooks wirelesly is invaluable.
You're welcome and I agree. I use to use Stanza but switched to iBooks for its simplicity. However, I missed being able to load books into my iTouch/iPad wirelessly and was excited to see that Calibre had finally included it as a feature.

So annoying to always have to plug my devices to the computer to just get content moved over. Now all I have to do is drop my books in calibre and download them to my i-devices wirelessly.

Woo hoo!

Now if I could only do that with video.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Slightly off-topic to iBook, but the PDF reader Goodreader for iPad has a builtin HTTP server that allows one to connect to the iPad with a browser and drop PDFs wirelessly (is that a word?) into the app.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
eli2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Slightly off-topic to iBook, but the PDF reader Goodreader for iPad has a builtin HTTP server that allows one to connect to the iPad with a browser and drop PDFs wirelessly (is that a word?) into the app.
That's right, but when I uploaded an epub file, Goodreader didn't know how to load it in any external application.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
That's right, but when I uploaded an epub file, Goodreader didn't know how to load it in any external application.
Unfortunately, GoodReader only understands PDF and TXT files. Still, it's another ebook reader that can load files wirelessly.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote