Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Screen problem

My Daughter just informed me her Nook Classic froze. She said the screen is showing and will not move.
She says she removed the battery and it didn't help. Is there a way to reboot?
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Hold the top button down until it turns off (15-20 seconds). There are other instructions. Let me go find them, I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

Edit: Ask her if she had it charged. This seems to happen most often when people ignore the charging warning and keep reading. Remove the battery, replace it, hold down the button. If that doesn't work, take out the battery and plug in the nook to the power. The nook should come back to life and unfreeze. Turn it off, replace the battery, and try charging again. If the battery won't come back to life, she's fried it and you'll need a new one.

Last edited by jedifarfy; 01-17-2011 at 01:01 PM.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Thank. She just let me know she took it to B&N and she needed a new battery. They replaced it, sent her on her way and it's working normally now.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Do check with her on whether or not she kept reading after a low battery warning, and if so, avoid doing so at all costs. From what I understand, pretty much all flavors of lithium <whatever> batteries, as they discharge, reach a point where the voltage starts to drop, and when it does, the battery will overheat to the point of being a fire or explosion hazard. Because of this, they all have a safety circuit built in that will shut the battery off if the voltage drops below a certain point. Over-discharging a lithium battery a single time can trip this "circuit breaker." Sometimes, they can be reset, but usually not by the average person.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
zwarbles
Connoisseur

She said the screen actually froze when she did the upgrade. She hadn't use it in about a month...and did the upgrade today. She said it downloaded/installed twice and the the screen just stayed on what it was.

I will let her know what you said though. Thank you.
Advert