Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
sn2002bt
sn2002bt began at the beginning.

Device: Libre
Exclamation +++Libre Pro is pulling my hairs and calling for help!!!

I just got this Aluratek Libre Pro from Fry's at $89 before $20 rebate. It is an awesome deal and I really don't want to return it.

However I need helphttps://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/smack.gif. I am trying to flush this libre to Chinese firmware so that I can not only read English txt but also Chinese txt. I have desperately searched online and this forum and have tried many many times, I haven't found a way to do so. People here in this forum have claimed that they had done that successfully.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=63092&page=7

I either got upgrade failed or device simply doesn't read the Chinese firmware even after I changed the file name to Aluratek standard name.

Someone in this forum said that Aluratek may have code to prevent cross flushing to different brand firmware, that might be the case.

I also got some tips from someone like the following

===============
Basically you need a Linux box and do something like:

1) unsquashfs and unencrypt the firmware(s)
2) read the flashing scripts and see what files they check for
3) add the needed files
4) regenerate MD5 sums
5) re-encrypt and resquash the firmware

==============

I am really not a firmware developer or linux guy. I am uploading both Chinese firmware file which was said to be successfully used in the first post link and also the official Aluratek firmware to here.

Can someone with Know-how be kind enough to look into these two files to see what are the differences and what need to be modified/added? I wish I could do this too but I can't. Many thanks in advance.

My new Libre is running this software at this moment

Software: v0.15k
Patch: v15

Here are the firmware links which I uploaded to

http://drop.io/49objkb
http://drop.io/lqaeebw

=============
++these are official Chinese hardware manufacturer link, the download speed is very very slow, so that I used the drop.io link above, you don't have to download it again+++Posted here just for reference

Here's the link to the Chinese firmware directory:
http://218.240.9.39/soft

And the link to B v. 44:
http://218.240.9.39/soft/M218B044firmware.rar

==============

I got a few weeks before I have to return it. It should be a shame given such a good price. Many thanks in advance for the help from someone with know-how. Please let me know how I can pass the flushing fail point. If you can modify the firmware to make it pass Aluratek's check, please be kind enough to do so and then upload it to drop.io link. thanks.
sn2002bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
sn2002bt

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE HEEEEEEEEELP!
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
sn2002bt

http://www.bitsum.com/firmware_mod_kit.htm
"Firmware Modification Kit
Giving YOU the power to customize your firmware"

Hopefully someone knows how to use this and can help.
Please upload the hacked Chinese firmware to http://drop.io link.

Many thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I hate to tell you this but that "firmware mod kit" is for a selection of routers.

You can approach this as a development project for an ARM9 Linux device, but you
give up a lot of the built in support already provided for the firmware. Best to stick
with the "simple" modifications to the existing firmware that have been discussed.
If you are having trouble following the procedures (because of what is assumed the
reader is already familiar with) it could be an indication that your understanding of
Linux and the "Embedded" environment isn't up to the task. You should know that
messing with this sort of thing can actually brick your device. The normal SD card
based firmware updates create no condition that can't be recovered from. The simple
modifications to the files included in the firmware package, described in the related
threads, are relatively safe, as long as things are done properly.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
sn2002bt

thanks Ken for your info and direction. I am just not that technically proficient to play with linux, not to mention tweaking firmware. I wish I could.

Will anybody else be interested in helping out on this "development project" more than direction? It may take some with knowledge and means 15 minutes, but I really don't know how to deal with it. Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
sn2002bt

I have spent enough time searching online and begging for help with this device in this forum. That is it! I am done with it.

I have dumped jetbook/libre and bought a Kindle 3 at $139 with wifi and 6" screen. I couldn't be happier with it ever since. It supports Chinese natively and works even better with Dokan system which is completely free and supports Kindle wonderfully and seamlessly (Google Kindle Dokan). It took me more than a week to get my Kindle even I ordered two days shipping because the product was so hot that it was sold out again and again. Amazon can hardly come up with the demand. Comparing with Kindle on features, looking, design, chinese support, easy of use, Libre can only eat dusts.

It was to me such a waste of time, money and effort on libre and Jetbook. I so regret it. I wish I tried Kindle earlier.

If you come to this page for Jetbook or Libre through google search. Gave yourself a break and save your life, get yourself a Kindle 3! You will see how wonderful it is.

Now I go anywhere with my Kindle 3. This thing is just AWESOME.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
First off don't dump jetbook in the same category as Libre. They truly are not the same, even though the hardware is.

Second, if your happy with a kindle that is fine. But you got yourself into that firmware mess. So don't blame anyone else for it. You made it accept the blame for it.

I've been running Jetbook and JBL for over a year with virtually zero problems.
And there are many others here who can say the same.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2002bt View Post
If you come to this page for Jetbook or Libre through google search. Gave yourself a break and save your life, get yourself a Kindle 3! You will see how wonderful it is.
Unless you prefer TFT to eInk, folder support to collections, ePub to AZW/Mobi, and don't need a language that is not supported.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2002bt View Post
I have spent enough time searching online and begging for help with this device in this forum. That is it! I am done with it.

I have dumped jetbook/libre and bought a Kindle 3 at $139 with wifi and 6" screen. I couldn't be happier with it ever since. It supports Chinese natively and works even better with Dokan system which is completely free and supports Kindle wonderfully and seamlessly (Google Kindle Dokan). It took me more than a week to get my Kindle even I ordered two days shipping because the product was so hot that it was sold out again and again. Amazon can hardly come up with the demand. Comparing with Kindle on features, looking, design, chinese support, easy of use, Libre can only eat dusts.

It was to me such a waste of time, money and effort on libre and Jetbook. I so regret it. I wish I tried Kindle earlier.

Now I go anywhere with my Kindle 3. This thing is just AWESOME.
Anyone reading the series of postings that has led this poster to the
conclusion he is presenting should consider the following:

The version of the Libre he purchased is not sold with firmware that supports
Chinese. He knew that when he made the purchase, but he thought, and
made the purchase on the erroneous assumption that HE could do what
others had done and get a modified version of firmware created for a different
device to work on his Libre. HE does not have the required understanding of
the technologies involved to accomplish the modification.

Ectaco does sell the reading device that he was trying to convert his Libre
into, by attempting to install that device's firmware on his Libre.

His dissatisfaction should be directed at his own lack of common sense not
at a number of related devices that many of us find an exceptional value and
that more than meet our expectations. He might also take this opportunity
to learn: Not to "bite off more than he can chew". Not many devices offer
the versatility that these devices provide, while remaining true to their simple
dedicated function.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves".

Luck;
Ken

P.S. Here is the link to the Ectaco Chinese device:
http://www.ectaco.com/M218B/
Also, note the trade in offer the poster could have used to get the proper device.
( You might compare the features of the device to the Kindle while you are at it.)

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-05-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, ereader, firmware, jetbook, libre