Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Is it worth buying REB1100 / GEB1150 /REB1200 Today ?

Hi there ,
Ive seen such devices are sold for around 120$ this days (the REB1100 even cheaper).

Is it worth purchasing this devices today ? How much comfortable is it to read for those readers ? Which one is better (custom fonts vs format support vs screen etc...)

And if most of the eBooks I read are PDF format (I turned them to text and used my psp to read from). What would be best way to read from those cheap devices while having the best "quality" reading experience ?

Thank you.
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
alophind, I cannot comment on the REB devices, but compared to the latest E-Ink-based devices, they most likely lack the battery longetivity and the better contrast ratio of the screen. On the other hand, if you don't care so much about the battery, and if you need a device with backlight, the REB might be an attractive alternative for you.

Reading PDF documents has always been an issue on dedicated e-book devices, mostly because of the limited screen size. The currently most suitable reader for reading PDF files is the iRex iLiad, which, however, doesn't fall under the "cheap devices" definition.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
alophind, I cannot comment on the REB devices, but compared to the latest E-Ink-based devices, they most likely lack the battery longetivity and the better contrast ratio of the screen. On the other hand, if you don't care so much about the battery, and if you need a device with backlight, the REB might be an attractive alternative for you.

Reading PDF documents has always been an issue on dedicated e-book devices, mostly because of the limited screen size. The currently most suitable reader for reading PDF files is the iRex iLiad, which, however, doesn't fall under the "cheap devices" definition.
I see.
I don't care about battery life because I read only at home and I have no problem charging it every 3-4 days if needed.

But i do wish that the battery won't die suddenly on me and that it will be comfortable to read from .

I use PDF2TEXT to convert pdf to ebook.
If I can chage the font , it might be cool.

Which REB / GEB device will be best today ?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Taken from an earlier post:
And let us not forget the eBookwise-1150. The base model is going for US$110 plus shipping. People say it is a good eReader. What are the production costs? I would guess about one third of retail -- or less. Filament Books will give you one for free, if only you join their book club for a year!

And see this thread. For the price you can't go wrong.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Taken from an earlier post:
And let us not forget the eBookwise-1150. The base model is going for US$110 plus shipping. People say it is a good eReader. What are the production costs? I would guess about one third of retail -- or less. Filament Books will give you one for free, if only you join their book club for a year!

And see this thread. For the price you can't go wrong.
Thank you Mogui , Those reviews are from 2.5 years ago... :-/
I don't have a problem getting eBooks.
The most important thing for me is for the device to be comfortable to read from (hold in bed and red).

Btw , How much difference is there between books you buy from stores and content I load to the device like PDF2TXT for example ?

And also , does it have a dictionary ?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have an eBookwise 1150 and it's an excellent reader. It doesn't work in sunlight as well as an e-ink device, but is quite readable in all other environments I've tried.

Regarding PDF files, your choices are to convert the file to some kind of text, e.g. HTML, or to a series of jpg images (there's a tool on these boards to do that). If your document has complex formatting, non-latin characters, diagrams, etc. you may want to convert to jpg. In most cases, I found that pdftohtml worked just fine, or the Amber ABC PDF converter from processtext.com.

Battery life on the unit is excellent, in my opinion. I usually keep the backlighting turned down pretty low and I get about 20 hours of reading. The ergonomics are good, too. The device is a convenient size and comfortably fits in the hand.

There is a dictionary, and a stylus interface allows selecting words, making notes, etc.

If the PDF-> JPG conversion tool had been available just a bit earlier, I probably would not have bought my second-hand iLiad. I love the iLiad for its flexibility and pure geek factor, but the eBookwise would have met all my real reading needs. My daughter is using it now.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Thank you Mogui , Those reviews are from 2.5 years ago... :-/
I don't have a problem getting eBooks.
The most important thing for me is for the device to be comfortable to read from (hold in bed and red).

Btw , How much difference is there between books you buy from stores and content I load to the device like PDF2TXT for example ?

And also , does it have a dictionary ?
I have an 1150 you can read my articles about it at my home page
http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

I only got it a month ago so all of the data is recent but I do like it. The main
difference between store content and PDF2TXT is text formatting. However the eb1150 has several free tools to permit you to tune the text formatting as you desire. The eb1150 is comfortable to hold while reading. It does weight a bit over a pound but if you want to switch hands you can flip over the text to make it more comfortable to hold. I find I do that just because holding it in one hand gets tiresome after a while. Battery life is quite good so no need to drag a cord to bed with you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have an 1150 you can read my articles about it at my home page
http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
Excellent review. Thanks!

I suggest readers view your ebook article too -- very complete!

Last edited by mogui; 08-24-2007 at 11:41 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote