Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
joeman
joeman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Mission Impossible for an E-Reader ?!

Guys,

I've been reading through the forum and one thing i'm glad about is that everyone is sharing info and experiences.

My story is short;

The moment the original Iliad got out i wanted one and bought one from the very beginning. I was quite happy with it, large screen and worked for most pdf ebooks. But after a couple of years i got alot of vertical lines appearing (not a crack or anything related to abuse). The unit never left the house, never hit or fell on the ground etc. Just one day after a couple of months of no usage i turned it on and the first few got visible. I paid a premium price of 749 euro for the unit and later the leather cover.

==

Now there are many e-readers outthere, one promising more than the other. But to be honest, i don't trust commercial review websites, i rather see what real people say about their real use of such e-readers.

So now my question is, what is the best e-reader outthere which has the biggest screen, good quality and support for some one like me who reads mostly pdf ebooks and want real native pdf support ?

Say my budget is 1000 euro.

Appreciate any help and i will continue reading on this great forum and other places to fullfil my quest.
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Well, Amazon has fantastic support for the Kindle. I've never had a KindleDX but people I've talked to with them seem pretty satisfied. See what people on here have to say about reading PDFs on it, though. I know on the 6" Kindle, PDF reading leaves something to be desired but that's probably largely due to the smaller screen.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
joeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Well, Amazon has fantastic support for the Kindle. I've never had a KindleDX but people I've talked to with them seem pretty satisfied. See what people on here have to say about reading PDFs on it, though. I know on the 6" Kindle, PDF reading leaves something to be desired but that's probably largely due to the smaller screen.
Thank you for the advise ! I've been considering the Kindle DX graphite and the EE. But only after hours and hours of reading specs and experiences of other people. Too bad Irex (now known as IRX) destroyed their own reputation cause if they properly took care of their customers like support/warranty i'd go again for their large sized units.

So i've concluded the Kindle DX graphite is the one for me. Supports pdf format and has a large screen beside other features. Battery goes a very long way which is also important. Last but not least it's not just some young shady company which can vanish over night and cease support.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If you haven't still decided and you'd like an alternative to Kindle, consider Pocketbook 901 (9.7 inch, like KDXG), due in September. Pocketbook has a superb PDF firmware, it makes many PDF's readable even in my 5 incher, Pocketbook 360. I have a very tight budget, so Pocketbook 901 will be the only reader I consider. It could be, nevertheless, that Pocketbook releases a similar model at the same time, a more expensive and capable one (touchscreen, wifi, maybe 3G, and so on), which might be interesting for you.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Have you considered an iPad? I love reading on mine, but don't have experience with PDFs on it. Either that or the Kindle DX, though I haven't seen one, but I loved my Kindle (waiting for my new one to get here...)
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
joeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
If you haven't still decided and you'd like an alternative to Kindle, consider Pocketbook 901 (9.7 inch, like KDXG), due in September. Pocketbook has a superb PDF firmware, it makes many PDF's readable even in my 5 incher, Pocketbook 360. I have a very tight budget, so Pocketbook 901 will be the only reader I consider. It could be, nevertheless, that Pocketbook releases a similar model at the same time, a more expensive and capable one (touchscreen, wifi, maybe 3G, and so on), which might be interesting for you.

Thanks for pointing out that one. I think it could be a nice alternative to the kindle dx(g) too. Large, supports pdf too and so on. I just don't want to risk buying an "experiment" or "work in progress" and spend alot of time on workarounds and support.

Also after reading this i'm not more tempted to consider it:

"
The reader is being produced for the Ukrainian Pocketbook company (producer of the mediocre Pocketbook 301 and excellent Pocketbook 360) by Chinese manufacturer Netronix. Netronix is making a very similar large eReader for Astak, the 9.7-inch Mentor. We have no word on pricing, but the device is rumored to be ready in early 2010.
"

Not saying that because of the origins or designing companies it cannot be relied on but rather prefer to deal with something more established like amazon. Despite that i don't like that big brother action of amazon a while back.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
joeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
Have you considered an iPad? I love reading on mine, but don't have experience with PDFs on it. Either that or the Kindle DX, though I haven't seen one, but I loved my Kindle (waiting for my new one to get here...)
Yes, but i need a real e-reader and the ipad is simply not suitable for alot of reading when it comes to eye-stress, glare, battery longetivity and it produces too much heat compared to the average e-reader. But the ipad remains one of those tempting "i wanna have it" gadgets :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
Thanks for pointing out that one. I think it could be a nice alternative to the kindle dx(g) too. Large, supports pdf too and so on. I just don't want to risk buying an "experiment" or "work in progress" and spend alot of time on workarounds and support.

Also after reading this i'm not more tempted to consider it:

"
The reader is being produced for the Ukrainian Pocketbook company (producer of the mediocre Pocketbook 301 and excellent Pocketbook 360) by Chinese manufacturer Netronix. Netronix is making a very similar large eReader for Astak, the 9.7-inch Mentor. We have no word on pricing, but the device is rumored to be ready in early 2010.
"

Not saying that because of the origins or designing companies it cannot be relied on but rather prefer to deal with something more established like amazon. Despite that i don't like that big brother action of amazon a while back.
I'd like to update that information. The pricing is already unveiled, around €300 for 901, and it will come out in September as stated before, since they're releasing it in a German electronic fair (IFA) which takes place in the beginning of that month.

Pocketbook is, according to recent data, the most important of the "small names" (Astak, Bebook, and so on). They have circa 5% of the market (not a small feat if you consider the salad of names), and they released a decent model as well some months ago, called Pocketbook 302. If you want proof of their strong support, they carried out a program for early adopters of 302 which implied 3 years of warranty instead of the normal 2, and which included substituting their glossy touchscreens for matte ones.

Trust me, the real strength of Pocketbook lies in their post-sale service. Both the company and the users (with their hacks, tweaks, and additional content) provide real value to the device once you have it in your hands. I may sound as a fanboy, and I guess these guys have made me one of them. I've been able to find dictionaries for my language, two hacks which expand the functionality of the device... and I myself have provided the Spanish translations for both firmware and reading software. The constellation of user-provided content is really attractive, IMO, and it is bound to be growing as more devices are released.

Nevertheless, it's true that KDX Graphite is a really attractive option, as it has an enviable support from Amazon too. The screen looks gorgeous to read in, and the store is very convenient to use.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
Yes, but i need a real e-reader and the ipad is simply not suitable for alot of reading when it comes to eye-stress, glare, battery longetivity and it produces too much heat compared to the average e-reader. But the ipad remains one of those tempting "i wanna have it" gadgets :-)
Have you tried reading on an iPad? I mean seriously tried it? I do most of my reading now on my iPad, and find it a very pleasant experience indeed. There is no noticeable heat produced - my iPad is as cool after a long reading session as it is at the start. I recharge my iPad about once a week, which is the same interval at which I recharge a number of my eInk readers. "eye-stress" will only occur if you have the screen brightness set too high - turn it down to the minimum level at which you can clearly see the screen. "Glare"? I don't see it myself.

The really key benefit of the iPad is that you can read pretty much any eBook on it by installing the appropriate reading app. Whether you want to buy books from Amazon, B&N, Apple, or whoever, they are all available. No dedicated reader can do that.

The iPad is an excellent reading device; I thoroughly recommend it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
joeman

Yes, i did check out the ipad but it's a multi-purpose device, it simply does not beat reading on an e-reader which is designed for just that. I care only about reading books and want the device which is most suited for that. No music, browsing or other fancy stuff is required for me
Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
Franky
Nameless Being

did you look at the Entourage eDGe? that's an Ereader and a LCD. i've got one and i'm serious hooked to it. one of the things is reading a PDF and searching at the same time internet. also making annotations etc etc. a very multi functional device. the only disadvantage is his weight. it's not the device to take with you on vacation to the carribic. for that we take our IREX DR800SG.

check it out, I would say....