Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
DenSar
DenSar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Question Buying eBooks

I own a PRS-700, and have been buying books from the Sony eBook store. I was wondering if there are other online book stores that I could buy books which could be uploaded to my PRS? Is there a way to convert from other formats to the one that my PRS uses? In particular, I'd love to find an online bookstore that sold modern french books, in addition to regular english books.

Thanks,
-D
DenSar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Can't help with the French books, but we have several French members who I'm sure will be along to help.

Both Books on Board and Diesel Ebooks carry EPUB books which are compatible with your 700. They sell some books in PDF too, but most find they like EPUB better. Books from Fictionwise in the 'Multiformat' format offer both EPUB and LRF options with no DRM. Baen (if you like SciFi) offers books in LRF, EPUB & RTF all of which will work and with no DRM. There are some smaller epublishers that might also offer things, but without knowing what you like to read it's hard to list them. Here on Mobile Read you can find lots of nicely formatted public domain & creative commons titles. Feedbooks and Manybooks also have PD & CC titles, but I generally find the ones here to be nicer.

Welcome to the forums.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
DenSar

This is great stuff. I've found a number of books that I could not get through the Sony store (a number of the books that were of interest to me were marked [US Only] and since I'm in Canada, I could not download them). And Baen has a number of older sci-fi books available for free (usually the first of a series -- nice way to explore if a series is of interest).

Thanks.
-D
Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
DenSar

Note also that I've found one site that had a fair number of epub french books: http://www.numilog.com/accueil.asp. It still doesn't have all of the ones that I was looking for, but it does have a good selection and I tried one new author that seemed interesting. I'll keep checking it out to see if their selection becomes even better with time. It's useful to know that the Sony Reader can read ePub since that seems a more popular format.

-D