Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Karma etiquette

I have looked on the forums, but I can see no guidance about karma.

I think I may be being a bit anal about this, but I really do feel I need to know:

When do I give karma?
How much (this bothers me - I gave somebody 5 karma recently; are they thinking, ' Wow, thanks' or, ' Jeez, is that all, what a cheapskate' - how do I know?
How can I tell who gave me karma (I'd like to say thanks)?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
karma etiquette is very fluid. you can give karma for any post that you like, for whatever reason you like. it's just a way to show your appreciation. you can also choose whatever amount you like (up to your maximum available, which shows by default in the karma dialogue). there's no rule about how much you should give, you can decide that for yourself, and other than the minimum of 2 points set by the system it's up to your discretion. i think generally people are pleased to get karma regardless of the amount, in fact a lot of people value the small karma hits from new people because they usually indicate that we were able to help someone out. and also, i doubt most people are keeping track enough to figure out exactly how much each person gave, so no worries.

as for seeing who gave you karma, click on "user cp" in the blue navigation bar at the top of the page, and scroll down : you'll see a table called "latest reputation". this shows you the post you got karma for (it's a direct link to your post), the name of the person, and the comment they left you (if there is one). the person's name is also linked to their profile page, so you can click right over to say thank you. karma in a nutshell !

there is also a whole thread explaining karma which you can peruse if you like to learn how karma is calculated.

i hope that answers your questions.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, and another little tip : apart from the comments that people leave when they give me karma, my favorite part is the karma "fortunes" which you can see when you hover over the blue bars under someone's user name. teh karma knows all.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Easiest answer first, if you click on the "User CP" item on the top white on blue menu bar you will see a list of those people that have given you karma.

There are very few rules for giving karma and they deal with the mechanics of karma. A good discussion about the workings of karma is found here.

So maybe the 5 points you gave is all that you can give. (When I followed the formula in the link I came up with 5 as your current amount.) You can give any amount of karma up to the max you are allowed. The exact amount of karma give is not displayed so unless the other member is monitoring their account closely they may not be able to tell if you gave all you could or not.

As to when you give karma, this is all up to you. Some give it freely (Uncle Duke comes to mind) while some others may never have given any karma at all.

Karma is a gift. No one should ever think of anyone else as a cheapskate for giving less than all the karma they have. It is the act, not the amount, that matters.

Alex, the founder of MobileRead, introduced the Dial-a-karma (as I call it) variable karma because some members with large post counts and high posting numbers were not awarding karma as they once had when they had lower karma to give. This allowed them to acknowledge good contributions that they would otherwise have not acknowledged. Even if you do not give all that you can, you are still restricted to giving karma no more than ten (10) times in a day and you must give karma to three or four other members before you can give it to the same member again.

I hope this helps you better understand the MobileRead karma system.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, and another little tip : apart from the comments that people leave when they give me karma, my favorite part is the karma "fortunes" which you can see when you hover over the blue bars under someone's user name. teh karma knows all.
I didn't know about the fortunes! Cool
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I didn't know about the fortunes! Cool
"Moejoe is a jewel in the rough".
"RWood understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'"
"Bilbo will become famous soon enough."

i love the karma fortunes.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 04-27-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The good thing with the Karma system here is that you can ignore it. I have used forums were people get upset if they are not thanked and decide not to help people just because of that and I usually stop using these forums.

Personally I have always thought that you should read what people write and make up your mind about it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The good thing with the Karma system here is that you can ignore it. I have used forums were people get upset if they are not thanked and decide not to help people just because of that and I usually stop using these forums.

Personally I have always thought that you should read what people write and make up your mind about it.
i agree, karma should never be an obligation.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
All - many thanks for the responses

I think I have probably been too concerned about this and I'll just keep doing what I was doing (i.e. giving karma for what I considered deserving of it and not worrying too much). It's the thought that counts (paraphrasing RWood's words).

I read Cory Doctorow's 'Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom'recently and it may have coloured my thinking about this kind of thing!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
All - many thanks for the responses

I think I have probably been too concerned about this and I'll just keep doing what I was doing (i.e. giving karma for what I considered deserving of it and not worrying too much). It's the thought that counts (paraphrasing RWood's words).
that sounds perfect. and yes, it is the thought that counts.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
"Moejoe is a jewel in the rough".
"RWood understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'"
"Bilbo will become famous soon enough."

i love the karma fortunes.

Cool, I'm a jewel in the rough
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
the person's name is also linked to their profile page, so you can click right over to say thank you.
Has there been any discussions about adding/getting a smilie that basically says:
"Thanks for the karma!"

I see that comment on almost all karma thank-you's.

Nice these MobileRead.com members...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote