Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Ebook Library Import

I tried to Import my Library into calibre, i left it all night it was still processing in the morning when i killed it. it got 26 gigs in, but an inspection prooved it useless because of all the different ways my books were stored.

so im gonna go and format my library myself which will take days or weeks but might as well do something.. I want to know if calibre can import books if its like this.

Last Name, First Name Middle - Title of book.extension
Saved in Zip/RAR Format on a per book basis. Inside each zip are the many different versions of the same book.

Can I use Rar?
Will Calibre index all the files inside the zip rar to tell me what versions i have?

also when Calibre creates its database i couldnt really notice the pattern to it as i did get a folder 26 gigs large with thousands of folders inside it.
Would it Index the books by Author, then subfolder all the books? or will it create just a folder for each book.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yes, there is a folder for each author. Then withing that a folder for each "title" and in that folder will contain all of the book formats.

I don't think that the file name matters... calibre will read the metadata in the ebook to get the title, author, etc. (Unless perhaps it is a text file.)

You might want to add a few folders at a time rather than do it in one full sweep. This will also let you create any tags or whatever if you want to match your current folder taxonomy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

many versions have no meta data, Lots of Txt files

my library would defenatly need to be remade.

here are some ways it currently is. like i said its a mess.
Letter/author/format/all books in that format
lastnamefirst/all the book of that author
first name last/all the books of that author
last name first/ all the books of that author in rars/zip
Rar/letter/author/all the books of that author

and there are more ways.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard

for Music Tagging there is a way to import Tags from file Names. Is it possible to get this added to calibre for importing files? for example.

you could Define you Current Directory Structure using place cards, that way calibres auto Imput would be correct because i defined it. such as
%L, %F\%L, %F - %T
which would tell Calibre that the files i import are formated as
Last Name, First Name\Last Name, First Name - Book Title

i just Tried Importing 2 folders of untaged files, it swaped the author field in all of them with the title.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under the advanced section of the config dialog.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard

thank you for the obviousness. now i must go learn regular expressions