Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Crop PDF page margins with Skim

Hi,

I just got my Sony PRS-505 and I'm really fascinated by this device.
Only problem is with PDF files where the font is so tiny that reading is difficult. And with magnification, the usual line formatting problems occur.

I have now found a free software for Mac OS that can crop the margins of PDF files which are then much more readable:

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

Maybe it helps you too.

Regards,
Juergen
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
AndyG
AndyG began at the beginning.

Device: 505, Kindle DX
Thanks, this works nicely (although only if I use "Export - PDF with embedded notes", otherwise the crop isn't saved, which had me confused for a while).

It would be even better if it did batch conversions though!
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Did you find out how to mark a number of individual pages for cropping? I know you can crop single pages or all pages. But I want to leave the first 2 pages (with the cover etc.) unchanged and crop all other pages. This seems not possible.
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggle4Evr View Post
Hi,

I just got my Sony PRS-505 and I'm really fascinated by this device.
Only problem is with PDF files where the font is so tiny that reading is difficult. And with magnification, the usual line formatting problems occur.

I have now found a free software for Mac OS that can crop the margins of PDF files which are then much more readable:

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

Maybe it helps you too.

Regards,
Juergen

Preview does the same thing and it is already part of os x.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
amgoforth - can you tell me how to do this in OSX? I have a pdf file i want to read on PRS500 and there is alot of dead space in the reader. how do i do this in preview?

thanks

alex
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
amgoforth - can you tell me how to do this in OSX? I have a pdf file i want to read on PRS500 and there is alot of dead space in the reader. how do i do this in preview?

thanks

alex
Open the file with preview. Pick tools then select tool. Make the pages smaller to work with by clicking on the - sign. Go to a page and click on it and drag the curser around the words on the page or picture etc. Then you need to check the other pages and make sure that the curser box is including all the content. If not click on the corners and make it bigger so all the page content is inside the box. Then select tools again and come down to crop and select that. It will ask just one page or all pages. Click all pages. The cropping will occur in seconds and then you just pick file and save as. If you have any trouble with this choose help from preview and look up crop.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
amgoforth
Groupie

Quote:

thanks

alex
By the way. What kind of a pdf is it?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Thanks for the tip. works fine except that text is still too small. so i guess i need to convert to word, adjust margins and text size as well as page size, then print to pdf again. PDF I'm trying to read is a Mario Puzo novel - The Family
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
amgoforth
Groupie

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. works fine except that text is still too small. so i guess i need to convert to word, adjust margins and text size as well as page size, then print to pdf again. PDF I'm trying to read is a Mario Puzo novel - The Family

You are welcome! As you saw if you read my new post in the PDF section, I have not been able to get mine to work on either of the Sony's. Of course mine are Google and Internet archive PDFs , and also other scanned pdfs. Let me know how you did it, if you get it too work, please.