Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help choosing a font please

In After Dark by Wilkie Collins some people are trying to decide on a title for a book. The text contains:

'I opened my writing desk in a great flutter. The doctor selected the largest sheet of paper and the broadest nibbed pen he could find, and wrote in majestic round-text letters, with alternate thin and thick strokes beautiful to see, the two cabalistic words:'

I have attached the first draft of an image for the title using Bookman Old Style. Can anyone suggest another font which might fit the above description better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Title.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	121653  
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I really like the Bookman font but another good one is Century Schoolbook.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Bodoni has distinctly think and thick strokes, especially in the heavier weights.
Domani is even more extreme, and has some swash capitals
Moliere is similar.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think that requires a more handwritten font, unless you are using it for some running text.

Like this (not really "alternate thin and thick strokes", though).

Maybe this
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Or the "flowing" category of fonts over at fontspace...
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Are you looking for a calligraphy font? Two that I have used and like are
Eagle Lake
http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Eagle+Lake

Sail
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Sail

Also some of the Kingthing calligraphy fonts are quite nice, you have to scroll around to get past some comic/novelty fonts.
http://www.kingthingsfonts.co.uk/fonts/fonts.htm

If you want a "formal" font, a la Bookman, with extreme thick-thin contrast, I like Abril Fatface, and have used it several times for titling.
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Abril+Fatface

Yesiva One is a favorite of mine, and has a calligraphic feeling
http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Yeseva+One

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 04-14-2014 at 12:14 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I'm feeling quite overwhelmed for choices and it will take me a while to decide.

As I looked at the fonts I remembered that that Leah and William and the Doctor are talking about a titlepage of a book to be published in the early 19th century. I think I need to take that into consideration also - to make it more 'life like.'
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote