Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
allanmartins
allanmartins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Smile Kindle Keyboard - not registering and no 3G, will a firmware fix it?

Hi all,

first of all, I have been checking these forums lately but never felt like posting anything, now I guess is my chance to share a few of my knowledge and support other people... but well, not, lets get to the business!

I got a Kindle Keyboard 3G, it was all working fine until few weeks ago. I lost the 3G connection for some unknown reason, and after resetting the factory settings, the device simply stopped working properly:

- Freezing constantly;
- no longer able to register the device;
- no 3G connection (previous problems);
** - cannot access the Kindle Store ("your kindle is unable to connect at this time,,," error);

However, the following seems to be fine:
- Wi-Fi works with no problems for browsing the internet
- USB works like charm, I can copy my stuff from my Caliber Library without problems

I contacted the Amazon Support, they mentioned that my device is out of warranty so they cannot do much. I am not able to replace the device (to get it shipped to my country, it can go up to USD600 due to customs and fees) so I guess that I reached the point to request help from anyone who is willing to help, you! =)

any suggestions? a firmware reinstallation or anything similar?

thanks!!

UPDATE: **added the information about accessing the Kindle Store Error

Last edited by allanmartins; 01-28-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added the information about accessing the Kindle Store Error
allanmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
As long as you are near WiFi You Cant get 3G! Once your out of range of WiFi AND IF your area is 3G capable You will then get 3G.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
allanmartins
allanmartins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Talking

You are right Katie, I have already tried to remove all the registered Wifi networks and it also didn't worked.

However, yesterday I tried one thing that I was able to (partially) succeed!

1. did a factory reset
2. applied the jailbreak firmware
3. restarted the device, no connection to register the device, neither browse the store
4. uninstalled the jailbreak, then I was able to register the device
5. restarted, and access to the kindle store without problems, but 3G still not working
perhaps, I am afraid that it might be a problem with the 3g receptor or so, I contact Amazon again to consider replacing the device (for a Kindle Paperwhite 3G), the deal was nice as the new one would cost only US$129, but as I do not live in the US, they charged me all the customs taxes, the final is around US$750 (shipping/duties and taxes) + US$129 (device itself) ...in this case, I will stick with my device as it is...
allanmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WOW $750 US Dollars you got to be kidding...where so you live on the Moon!

Maybe being in another country is the problem with 3G Some people in other countries were using Kindle 3G to run computers. So they Limited the service to 50 Mins or $50 worth not sure which.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 01-31-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Maybe being in another country is the problem with 3G Some people in other countries were using Kindle 3G to run computers. So they Limited the service to 50 Mins or $50 worth not sure which.
50 MB of data per month, not counting access to the Kindle Store, Wikipedia, and the built-in translate feature. And only for the device lines they already sold -- the KT and KPW's don't have any data.

And I'm pretty sure it wasn't just people in other countries -- scumbags and losers aren't georestricted.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I found the Decussion on Amazon about it http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?c...Tx4SABNRC1C5C0 this explain better than me!

eschwartz
Thanks you corrected me but at least I got the 50 correct LOL
What I don't understand is HOW do you connect the PC to Ereader to do this? Great in an emergency when Eveythings out do to weather or some nut knocking out the poles!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I found the Decussion on Amazon about it http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?c...Tx4SABNRC1C5C0 this explain better than me!

eschwartz
Thanks you corrected me but at least I got the 50 correct LOL
What I don't understand is HOW do you connect the PC to Ereader to do this? Great in an emergency when Eveythings out do to weather or some nut knocking out the poles!
It's called tethering, it (obviously) involves jailbreaking, and uses a hack that will not be found anywhere on MobileRead. I have no idea where to find it, nor do I want to, since it is an absolute violation of the free gift Amazon gave Kindle 3G owners. They didn't sell Kindles to provide unlimited free 3G service for peoples' computers, they sold an ereader, with the ability to use small amounts of 3G (because that's all the e-ink Kindles can handle) to generally connect to the internet when you're in a rush, because why not? It's a nice gesture that endears Amazon to their customers, hardly costs them anything, and makes the Kindle a little more useful to someone in a rush.

Imagine their surprise when they found out some highly unethical people had hacked the firmware to establish a data channel to their PC's and were using gigabytes of data left right and center? Hardly in the spirit of their original offer, and I'm sure illegal too, as they were unauthorizedly accessing a secured network for purposes other than what the owners intended; while we may own our Kindles, making jailbreaking them acceptable, we don't own the network Amazon sends it's data over.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-31-2014 at 04:13 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I don't Jail Break or Hack LOL So that explains part of it! Yes Tethering was what I talking about. Anyway theres a lot more than just plugging in a cable. I don't even use the 3G on my Kindle keyboard & Rarely turn on WiFi. I sideload all my ebooks to it. Just thought Tethering would be nice in an emergency. THANKS for the explanation tho...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Blaatann
Blaatann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
Unhappy

I have the exact same problem. I can't connect to 3G and I can't use the store, but I can use Wifi to browse the internet. My unit is also no longer registered after the Amazon customer rep asked me to do a "Reset to Factory Defaults". According to Amazon, this unit is now defect and must be replaced, but I just don't buy it. Feels like there something wrong at their end, but according to at least two people I spoke to, my device is not blacklisted or anything similar..

I used to be able to view different network providers, using Alt+e, Alt+q, Alt+q from the settings screen but this no longer works.
Blaatann is offline   Reply With Quote