Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Is anyone using the MacBook Pro with Retina display as an eReader?

Yes, I know it's a 'computer' not an 'eReader'. And it cost over $2,000... but it has a 15.4" Retina Display! I've read books on the 9.7" retina display of the 3rd generation iPad—which looks great by the way—and can only imagine that this MacBook's screen is even more amazing.

Has anyone lucky mobilereader got one already, perhaps for work or school, and tried reading ePubs and PDFs on this macbook? What's the experience like?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I did it at the store. It was... well, underwhelming. You just have a bigger screen, and you're stuck doing it on a table. It's clunky to carry around too. Sure the quality is nice, but do you really need such a big screen to read a book?

Just to say, Apple did a great job with Retina Displays.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Well, for some PDF I sometimes read them in my 13" Air. I put open in my belly and read in full screen while staying in my couch...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hmm, I guess that could work. I actually borrowed my brother's laptop and tried that on the couch.. It was uncomfortable for me. haha. Hey, if it works for you, then by all means go for it. Since the form factor is not an issue for you, I can definitely see the potential of a macbook as an e-reader.
What you would experience is pretty much the same as your iPad 3 on landscape with more space to look at.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
That's the idea. For example, I sometimes read Scientific American in the Air, and development books in the iPad.

But reading in iPad is more comfortable than in Air. And sometimes you get your belly hot.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Delotte231
Connoisseur

Getting you belly hot may not be a bad thing. I would do it if I could, it might shave a few millimeters off my belly. hahaha
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The MBP with retina display is great for PDFs but there is not one good ePub reader app.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Delotte231
Connoisseur

That depends on his preference. As long as the epub reader works, regardless of the interface, it will look beautiful
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
As long as the epub reader works, regardless of the interface, it will look beautiful
Only true if the app has been updated to take advantage of the Retina display. I don't have any ebook readers on my computer, but every time I open iBooks Author on my Retina MacBook Pro, my eyes cry out in horror at the ugly font rendering. Hopefully there will be an update coming soon.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
pata
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Only true if the app has been updated to take advantage of the Retina display. I don't have any ebook readers on my computer, but every time I open iBooks Author on my Retina MacBook Pro, my eyes cry out in horror at the ugly font rendering. Hopefully there will be an update coming soon.
iReader has been updated for the retina display! It's a good app but reveals the problems of ePub on large high resolution displays. The reflowable content doesn't make good use of space, especially when compared to pixel perfect PDFs
Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Kitabu is a free reader. Not as elegant as iReader, but it seems pretty good. Drag and drop to the Library, Swipe to turn pages. Works great on my screen which is NOT a retina screen (I wish) but probably worth a look at the price. FYI there arent a lot of adjustments that can be made, but... it works.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Based on rumors, it is expected that the next update to the 13" Macbook Pro, is getting a Retina screen.. So if size is an issue, then this might be it for you.

But in any case, the iPad 3 is way more portable, and also has a Retina screen, so..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Delotte231
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Based on rumors, it is expected that the next update to the 13" Macbook Pro, is getting a Retina screen.. So if size is an issue, then this might be it for you.

But in any case, the iPad 3 is way more portable, and also has a Retina screen, so..
I believe it lasts longer too. If the only purpose is reading, then it is a sure win in my book. But if you need to carry a computer anyways, then better not bother with the iPad and just use the computer as your reader.