Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #76
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think I can perform that rip on my k2i - I'll probably be able to do that either today or tomorrow.
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #77
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've been reading DickeFix' posts, and was wondering if this meant the image created on the DXG will be invalid. Or the image on the K3? Or both?

I noticed a number of strings that may need to be initialised to an empty string in that file. Unfortunately, when I modify the file and then create the BIN files under Ubuntu 10.10, I see the same thing, the file is created successfully, but isn't accepted as an update file (option greyed out).

Does anybody know how to create an update file that will be accepted?

Last edited by ableeker; 04-24-2011 at 09:03 AM.
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #78
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
It is the update package which is crashing the DXG after installation. Since the update package for the DXG is a combination of the 2.5.8 rootfs.img from the DXG and the 3.1 firmware from K3 I think the crashing is due to that some K3 files are not compatible with the DXG.

I had also the problem that the update option was grayed out but solved it by replacing the following line close to the end in create_packages.sh:

${UPDATE_TOOL} c ${MINVERSION} `expr ${MAXVERSION}` ${DEVICE} FC02 "${TEMP}/${PKG_NAME}.tar.gz" ${OUTPUT}/update_${PKG_NAME}.bin

with this line taken from the alpha version of the update package

${UPDATE_TOOL} c ${MINVERSION} `expr ${MAXVERSION} + 1` ${DEVICE} FC02 "${TEMP}/${NAME}.tar.gz" ${OUTPUT}/update_${NAME}.bin

I have still problems that the update creation process SOMETIMES ends prematurely after "copying new files to rootfs image". This occurs even if all lines regarding TTS are commented away. I noticed that it is important to restart the Kindle 3 twice before a new attempt (once by holding the On button for half a minute and once by using the Restart option in the same menu where Update option is).

I have done programming but never on UNIX or Linux and have difficulties to understand exactly how to rip the copy of the /sys and /proc folder of the DXG. I thought the recovery file had all this info. Yifanlu, it would be great if you could make a code snippet that did this. Does the firmware 3.1 run without problems on your K2? I also would like to ask why some of the files in the filelist.txt for the K2i were missing in the filelist.txt for the DXG:

/usr/lib/libdmd_module.so
/usr/lib/libdmd_module.so.0
/usr/lib/libdmd_module.so.0.1
/usr/lib/libwan_module.0101.so
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #79
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
It is the update package which is crashing the DXG after installation. Since the update package for the DXG is a combination of the 2.5.8 rootfs.img from the DXG and the 3.1 firmware from K3 I think the crashing is due to that some K3 files are not compatible with the DXG.

I had also the problem that the update option was grayed out but solved it by replacing the following line close to the end in create_packages.sh:

${UPDATE_TOOL} c ${MINVERSION} `expr ${MAXVERSION}` ${DEVICE} FC02 "${TEMP}/${PKG_NAME}.tar.gz" ${OUTPUT}/update_${PKG_NAME}.bin

with this line taken from the alpha version of the update package

${UPDATE_TOOL} c ${MINVERSION} `expr ${MAXVERSION} + 1` ${DEVICE} FC02 "${TEMP}/${NAME}.tar.gz" ${OUTPUT}/update_${NAME}.bin

I have still problems that the update creation process SOMETIMES ends prematurely after "copying new files to rootfs image". This occurs even if all lines regarding TTS are commented away. I noticed that it is important to restart the Kindle 3 twice before a new attempt (once by holding the On button for half a minute and once by using the Restart option in the same menu where Update option is).

I have done programming but never on UNIX or Linux and have difficulties to understand exactly how to rip the copy of the /sys and /proc folder of the DXG. I thought the recovery file had all this info. Yifanlu, it would be great if you could make a code snippet that did this. Does the firmware 3.1 run without problems on your K2? I also would like to ask why some of the files in the filelist.txt for the K2i were missing in the filelist.txt for the DXG:

/usr/lib/libdmd_module.so
/usr/lib/libdmd_module.so.0
/usr/lib/libdmd_module.so.0.1
/usr/lib/libwan_module.0101.so
Thanks again for the help. I did do the +1 on the version (hence why I used expr), but I had some problems and forgot to change back. The reason why the filelists are different is because (almost) all models of the Kindle use different 3G modems and hence have different libraries for controlling them. They are named libwan_module.XXXX.so and they link to the actual name of the library, like libdmd is for K2 US. There's also libe725 and stuff like that. This is one of the only differences I can find between the kindle modles. Apart from that, they are identical. (But now, I'm finding out about the battery stuff)

Also, changed my mind on how to rip the /sys. Seems like tar truncates the thing. Use find /sys > /mnt/us/sys.txt

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-24-2011 at 10:32 AM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #80
qinbill
qinbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dxg
I tried update to my DXG. It frizzed on the start page. I recovered.

There is the sys file of my DXG.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sys.txt (81.5 KB, 788 views)
qinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #81
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Please find attached content lists of the folders (bin,dev,etc,lib,linuxrc,opt,sbin,sys,test,usr) of my Kindle DXG and Kindle 3G (non-US). I also included a comparison of sys.txt between mine and Qinbills Kindle DXG.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CompDickeFixvsQinbillDXGsys.pdf (210.9 KB, 2411 views)
File Type: zip Kindle3GExtract.zip (36.7 KB, 294 views)
File Type: zip KindleDXGExtract.zip (26.9 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by DickeFix; 04-24-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #82
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the help everyone! I found the bug. The framework on 3.1 checks to make sure there is a valid battery in the Kindle. Maybe to prevent counterfeit battery or something? There are two things I can do. 1) IF there are too many unique battery ids (like different one for each revision or something), I will patch /etc/init.d/framework to not check the battery. or 2) If there are only different battery id for each model, I'll just add the the valid ids to the database.

Each Kindle model has a different battery id. Framework 3.1 checks to make sure the battery is valid before booting, that is why it currently fails. I need as many people as I can to download "find-batteryid_1.0.zip" (first post) and run it on their Kindle. This requires jailbreak, but it will NOT install anything OR touch the filesystem. All it does is find the battery id and write it to batteryid.txt on the USB drive of your Kindle. PLEASE post the contents of this file AND your Kindle model (K2, dx, dxi, dxg) so I can add them to the valid battery id list. Thanks!

EDIT: Disregard this for now. I may have a better way.

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-24-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #83
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
For my K2i, the battery id is 64
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #84
qinbill
qinbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dxg
For my Kindle DXG outside USA, Serial starts with B009. the battery number is 0.
Attached Files
File Type: txt batteryid.txt (2 Bytes, 323 views)
qinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #85
DickeFix
Enthusiast

For my Kindle DXG, BatteryID is also 0.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #86
spleen
spleen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
kinldle dxg battery id 0
spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #87
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the battery validation ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #88
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the battery validation ?
Yes. That's why I edited the post to say "disregard this for now".
Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #89
modusop

Yifanlu's latest fix gets it past the battery error. The device boots for me now, but 3G is not working (k2i). Audio from books and text-to-speech sounds "crackly", which tells me the sample rate of playback may have been changed. There was a little lag at first, but I reset to factory settings and the lag is now gone. Also, my volume buttons *do* work.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #90
modusop

By "3G not working properly" I mean this: It shows "3G" and has full bars in the top bar, but will not connect to Amazon nor will it load web pages.