Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
sniffingratty
sniffingratty began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
browser capabilities

Hi everyone,

I am considering getting a kindle mostly because of the browser. I do a lot of research on the web, mostly text, and its killing my eyes. Do you think that the kindle could be a solution to this. The main things that would make it worthwile are:

a way to turn pictures off when browsing,
viewing pdf's online in the browser or being able to easily download them,
speed of the network.

another thing: do you get charged for browsing on amazons 3G network? there is no wifi for thee kindle (too bad).

please let me know your experiences other web researchers.
sniffingratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I can answer one question for you. NO there is NO fee for using whispernet for browsing the internet.

As for your other questions, that is up for debate. I will say that I do use the browser function on my K2 for checking sports scores or headlines when I am out and about. But it is not as functional or quick as other portable web browsing devices.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the browser is not really earthling friendly. it is rather frustrating to use in situations other than quick email checks, ordering from Amazon and wiki searches. on the other hand, sending the pdf's to your kindle to read would probably be a good idea especially if you are experiencing eye strain from your computer
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The browser is mostly useless IMO. Just too slow, only very simple, sites (even if just text, the layout has to be pretty simple) display well at all.

PDFs would be ok-if you get a DX. The Kindle 2 screen being so small is a big problem if you're dealing with letter sized PDFs.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Sniffingratty,

You don't say which country you are in. The Kindle browser is really only usable in the US. Elsewhere it's limited to Wikipedia and perhaps a couple of other sites.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
If i understand your need correctly the best way would be to use a PC or notebook you own already to collect your reading stufff by something like "instant paper" and get this on your kindle via calibre recipe on a daily basis. I use that for large text's that come around to me while on work and on my desktop.

I am from germany so i don't really know the whole webbrowsing feature but from what i can see by using Wikipedia and the Amazon Store its not very useful more a nice add on then a real feature.

For browsing the web i would say you'll find a better way with something like the iPad.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
smargo
smargo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo
I have received Kindle yesterday, in Switzerland browser is accessing all sites, except for some reason in ".ru" domian. Of course kindle is registred on my Swiss address.
smargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I would concur with the others here, that the browser is not all that good. I almost never use it. It is sooo sloooww! Suggestions made to use kindle (i have a KDX) while tethered to USB port along with something like Instapaper; along with a "print to PDF" (which is what I do) works reasonably well. I also do a lot of research like you -- I have found the Firefox add-on "Scrapbook Plus" very helpful in gathering page fragments from a variety of sources, compositing them into a longer synthetic document before turning it into a PDF. I have found that the KDX is not to my taste for reading lots of short pieces, but it is superb on longer docs. I buy a lot of technical computer books which are available in both PDF and mobi formats. The PDFs are publisher perfect; the mobis are god-awful. The PDF reader on the KDX is good, but it could be better (main drawback is can't scale fonts). A few tweaks from Amazon could fix this, it is close, but not quite the equal yet to the Adobe PDF reader. Hope this helps.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser