Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Kindle Paperwhite screen brightness settings - back to front?

The PPW's screen lighting adjustment control seem to be back to front.

It's a series of bars. At the bottom the screen is at its darkest. There is a label next to the bottom bars which says, "Use a low setting for dark rooms".

Towards the top at the brightest settings it says, "In brightly lit rooms, use a high setting".

That makes no sense to me. In the bedroom where it's dark I have to have the brightness at a high setting, otherwise I can't see the screen.

In a bright room or outside I can lower the setting to minimum in the region where it says to use in a dark room.

What am I missing here?
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm still waiting for my paperwhite, but I have seen pics with that text and it never made sense to me either. Use lots of light in a brightly lit room and very little light in a dark room!?!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
DailyPlanet
This world is not my home
DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2
The theory is that your eyes will adjust to the lower light setting in the dark and will be more comfortable (and less annoying to others in the room). While the bright setting in a bright room helps the screen look more like regular paper.
DailyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyPlanet View Post
The theory is that your eyes will adjust to the lower light setting in the dark and will be more comfortable (and less annoying to others in the room). While the bright setting in a bright room helps the screen look more like regular paper.
Thanks for explaining. I just have to wait and see what my favourite settings will be, when my PW finaly arives.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
In a dark room, I have the PW light set to about 12. If its at max brightness, it is WAY to bright for a dark room.

In bright light, a low setting will essentially look like the light is off...so a high setting they say is better. When I am in a well lit area, I don't use the light so I still leave it at a low setting.

I will sometimes put it on a higher light setting, 20 or so, in a room that is not well lit but is not dark either.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
papierflieger
papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got my PW a mere two days ago, but here's what I've noticed:

A bright setting in daylight will help with eliminating screen glare. This actually works in the same way that it does on a cellphone or any type of screen, really. On most sunny days I have to turn up the brightness on my phone because the glare caused by the sunlight can be quite intense and I won't be able to view the entire screen clearly otherwise. It usually isn't as big of a problem indoors, though. I find that a setting of 15 (+/-3) is usually enough indoors. I haven't tried reading outdoors yet, but I'm guessing that I would have to turn up the brightness to 20+.

In the evening, however, it's enough for me to read at a setting of around 5. Although that's with the nightstand lamp on. I haven't tried reading in total darkness, because, well.. I'm single and my dog doesn't care much about whether the lights are on or off. Your eyes get used to the low light setting very quickly.
papierflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papierflieger View Post

A bright setting in daylight will help with eliminating screen glare. This actually works in the same way that it does on a cellphone or any type of screen, really.
I thought that the idea of eInk screens was to eliminate this problem of sun glare. Therefore I'm wondering why the PPW screen seems to work differently to that of my Kindle DX.

Anyway, I've only had it a week and still getting used to it and haven't really had the chance to test it under varying lighting conditions.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I kept mine at 12 most of the time no matter what the light, but I've found recently that 3 is best for me in a dark room, and 12-16 is best in bright room.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I thought it made little sense, too.

But, ultimately came to see it had merit.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
I thought that the idea of eInk screens was to eliminate this problem of sun glare. Therefore I'm wondering why the PPW screen seems to work differently to that of my Kindle DX.

Anyway, I've only had it a week and still getting used to it and haven't really had the chance to test it under varying lighting conditions.
Older Kindle models had problem with glare to, in bright light, under certain angles there was glare. Of course, thank glare can't be compared to that of mobile phone or tablet PC.
I didn't notice any bigger difference between K3, Touch or PW in the term's of glare.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
mjt57
Connoisseur

The DX has a bit of a glare problem. I have to position my bedside clipon LED light so that the effect is minimal.

Outside, though, it's never really been a problem.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite screen brightness settings - back to front?

The brightness settings are simply labeled incorrectly. Let have some common sense here. Someone said something about the bright setting in daylight reducing glare and your eyes should adjust to lower light settings...ridiculous! Kindle needs to own up to the mislabeling and correct it in the next software update. BTW I love my kindle paper white and plan on reading books exclusively on it.

Last edited by Zihuatanejo; 08-28-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Zihuatanejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An ...interesting perspective, and one which I venture to say is not shared by many PW owners. You have the light on high in dark rooms, do you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I too have to disagree. I keep mine at about 3 in a dark room, and at a much higher number like 16 in a lit room.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I know opinions vary but I like to keep my PW lighting just at the threshold of being able to 'see' the PW's light effect. It enhances contrast without being annoying, to me. If I'm reading in typical indoor areas I seem to vary the setting no more than +/-1 setting. I drop it a few more settings than that in a dimmed-cabin airplane flight and I tend not to read "in the dark."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote