Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Obscure Vote • April 2013, Multiple Choice
Oroonoko by Aphra Behn 9 60.00%
The Silent Duchess (La lunga vita di Marianna Ucrìa) by Dacia Maraini 8 53.33%
The Is the End by Stella Benson 7 46.67%
The Return by Walter de la Mare 5 33.33%
The Kalevala by Elias Lönnrot 4 26.67%
Chess Story (Schachnovelle) by Stefan Zweig 11 73.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In the US, Kobo has it as Chess for $4.29 or Chess Story for $9.39, both couponabl) and doesn't sell it as The Royal Game. The cheaper edition is available at Amazon for $3.22 and the pricier one for $9.88. The Barrett translation isn't available. LOL, how to choose? I'll have to see what the story is with the edition at the library in town. Free is always good, unless there's something seriously lacking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
If Chess Story wins, there is a cost-effective version available for Kindle in a new translation by David Barrett for $2.28.

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-ebook/dp...s=Stefan+Zweig

It is also available at Amazon.co.uk equivalently priced at £1.53.
That's odd - I'm logged in as US and I don't have that version as available. How can that be?

I know there are a couple of cheaper versions in the Australian store, and I was eyeing the more expensive New York Review version in the US store wondering if the extra expense is going to result in a better translation and more polished edition.

Anyone know if there is a "most respected" translator for this novella?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While hunting around I noticed that Zweig wrote a book: Three Masters: Balzac, Dickens, Dostoevsky

Long out of print apparently, this is now available on Kindle. I've put it in my wish list.

Google Play (Aust) has the Anthea Bell translation of Chess, the same version as in Kobo (Aust) for $4.99AU. A bit more expensive, but if you happen to prefer that store, as I do, it might be an option.

EDIT: I'm an impatient thing. I've just gone ahead and grabbed the Anthea Bell. But I got it from Kobo and used a coupon. $2.79 - NICE!

I hardly ever use Kobo because I really don't like the site, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited by caleb72; 04-06-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
That's odd - I'm logged in as US and I don't have that version as available. How can that be?

I know there are a couple of cheaper versions in the Australian store, and I was eyeing the more expensive New York Review version in the US store wondering if the extra expense is going to result in a better translation and more polished edition.

Anyone know if there is a "most respected" translator for this novella?
Since I'm going to read it anyway, I have downloaded the Barrett translation without any difficulty. Since I'm in Ireland, I did it through Amazon.com.

However now Amazon is going to make the Kindle UK Store available to those in Ireland, so I still have to decide whether to DL from UK or the .com store in the future (I think it has to be one or the other--not both}.

As to the translation, I have no idea as to which should be preferred. Barrett's version is described as being "new" but as Paul Simon's song points out, "Old" can be OK too.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate

OK Chess it is. Thanks for some of those other nominations though. I've put the following on my reading list for next year:

Oroonoko
The Is the End
The Return

Do you think we could consider Chess to be a classic of German literature?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
At least much more classic than obscure!

Stefan Zweig is considered as a great, classical author, and I think it is one of his most famous works, be it only because it was made into a movie too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Thanks Billi. I'll file it under classics then.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I picked up The Royal Game at the library this morning; it's translated by B. W. Huebsch and originally published in 1944. Joel Rotenberg is the translator of the more recent NY Review Books edition (Chess Story) and the Barrett translation (Chess) doesn't seem to be available in the US. Are there any more translators or titles?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I've got the Anthea Bell translation which was published by Penguin.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
They're both so short that I'm considering reading both Chess Story and Oroonoko this month. They were my top two choices anyway. Well, I'll begin with Chess Story and then see how I feel.

For Chess Story, looking at the different editions, different titles and different prices and such is enough to make one's eyes go cross! I don't mind spending more for a better translation so I'm still trying to decide which version I'd like to get.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great job compiling the list of options in the discussion thread, sun surfer. That must have been a challenge! I went with Chess Story (New York Review Books) translated by Joel Rotenberg for $7.77 at Amazon (US). I didn't see it on your list for Amazon (US) options.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've now added it in, and another edition too. I also now see the Barrett version on Amazon US as unavailable so I've removed that one.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
OK Chess it is. Thanks for some of those other nominations though. I've put the following on my reading list for next year:

Oroonoko
The Is the End
The Return

Do you think we could consider Chess to be a classic of German literature?
Yes, I downloaded those three also, caleb. It really was a tough choice, and I think the suggestion of reading Oroonoko as well this month is also a good one.

Thanks to everyone who made these great suggestions for us all.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote