Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Calibres "Add merge book feature" in the new release

I'm not seeing anything obvious in the GUI as to what this feature is and how it works. Any tips/tricks on this?
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Select 2 books, then right click and there is a merge into first selected option. This allows you to combine books if the importer messes it up and creates 2 entries instead of 1 book with multiple formats.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
adolson
adolson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Select 2 books, then right click and there is a merge into first selected option. This allows you to combine books if the importer messes it up and creates 2 entries instead of 1 book with multiple formats.
Thanks! I was wondering what "merge book" meant. For some reason, I was thinking combining two EPUBs into one EPUB, for example. Heh.
adolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
I'm not seeing anything obvious in the GUI as to what this feature is and how it works. Any tips/tricks on this?
There is a warning message that tells you how this will work - one for each of the two types of merge.

Basically:

Select a book you want to keep first, then while holding down the CTRL key, select one or more other books you want merged into the first book. With those books highlighted (selected) choose either the Merge (delete others) or Merge (keep others).

Everything in the first book will be kept. That means all book formats, all metadata, etc. Everything from the second and third books, etc. will be copied into the first book, then the other books (second, third, etc.) will be either kept or deleted.

The main things you can do are combine records (merge and delete others) and copy records (merge into an empty record and keep others). With some practice, provided you are careful, you can also use the merge and keep function to move and copy metadata from one record to another.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I see it now. I was looking at the top level of the right-click context menu, I didn't realize that it was located in the Edit metadata submenu.

This feature is extremely helpful. It would have saved me tons of time when I first imported my library, but I am sure I will still use it a lot.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
adolson

I've used this new feature a few times already - definitely very handy.

However, I noticed one thing that may be a bug?

I had a ZIP+EPUB book, and added a LIT version. The ZIP+EPUB I had fetched the metadata and cover for, and had it set up how I wanted. I selected this, and then the LIT version second, and merged. The cover image seemed to be replaced by the LIT version's cover, even if I opened the book's metadata editor up, the LIT's cover showed up there. I think the rest of the metadata was fine.

Bug, or expected behavior?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolson View Post
It sounds like a bug, but I'll wait to hear from someone in the know.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolson View Post
I've used this new feature a few times already - definitely very handy.

However, I noticed one thing that may be a bug?

I had a ZIP+EPUB book, and added a LIT version. The ZIP+EPUB I had fetched the metadata and cover for, and had it set up how I wanted. I selected this, and then the LIT version second, and merged. The cover image seemed to be replaced by the LIT version's cover, even if I opened the book's metadata editor up, the LIT's cover showed up there. I think the rest of the metadata was fine.

It sounds like a bug, but I just tried the same procedure, and didn't see this. I started with two books, both with covers. One had a ZIP+EPUB format, the other, only a LIT. I selected the ZIP+EPUB format first, then the LIT and hit "M." I ended up with the cover from the ZIP+EPUB format (as I should have), not the LIT.

Is that what you did?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
adolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It sounds like a bug, but I just tried the same procedure, and didn't see this. I started with two books, both with covers. One had a ZIP+EPUB format, the other, only a LIT. I selected the ZIP+EPUB format first, then the LIT and hit "M." I ended up with the cover from the ZIP+EPUB format (as I should have), not the LIT.

Is that what you did?
This is what I did, only difference is that after importing the LIT file, I didn't fetch metadata or covers, I just added the file and then merged. The resulting group took the cover from inside of the original LIT file.

It doesn't seem to be happening today, for whatever reason, but it did happen 5 or 6 times yesterday... No big deal, I guess. Maybe my system needed a reboot or something.