Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #61
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One more and we can open the crypt door.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
No one's nominated classics yet? Must remedy.

I nominate classics.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #63
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh issybird!

I never imagined you'd like classics. I thought you'd be more of a schlock horror fan.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #64
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'll use my last vote to second Classics.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #65
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Third Classics!
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Oh issybird!

I never imagined you'd like classics. I thought you'd be more of a schlock horror fan.
Who told??
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #67
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Just for the sake of illumination, what is the difference between Classical Literature and Classics?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just for the sake of illumination, what is the difference between Classical Literature and Classics?
Classics can be a book from any time that is considered a classic. Classical Literature is just old stuff of any kind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #69
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Ah - I think I see. So classical literature is merely a category concerned with age, whereas classics are about the longevity of appeal of a certain work over a large span of time.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah - I think I see. So classical literature is merely a category concerned with age, whereas classics are about the longevity of appeal of a certain work over a large span of time.
Exactly!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The nominations for the July category will end today at 23:42 GMT (06:42 PM EST), after which I'll put up the poll. \

I'm really hoping we can have at least one month dedicated to non-fiction. July seems as good a month as any. If it was up to me, every third month would be non-fiction.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The nominations for the July category will end today at 23:42 GMT (06:42 PM EST), after which I'll put up the poll. \

I'm really hoping we can have at least one month dedicated to non-fiction. July seems as good a month as any. If it was up to me, every third month would be non-fiction.
I could go as high as every other month, but I prefer history and biography to the social and hard sciences.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I could go as high as every other month....
A lady after my own heart!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

I'll make you a deal. We get science fiction as the July winner and I'll push for non-fiction for August. How's that sound? I'm still waiting for a science fiction read for the bookclub since we got gypped with that awful Cloud Atlas.

Oh and it cannot be that Sci-Fi/Fantasy. That one is never allowed to win. It's an abomination.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll make you a deal. We get science fiction as the July winner and I'll push for non-fiction for August. How's that sound? I'm still waiting for a science fiction read for the bookclub since we got gypped with that awful Cloud Atlas.

Oh and it cannot be that Sci-Fi/Fantasy. That one is never allowed to win. It's an abomination.
I want to concentrate on getting non-fiction first. But I agree with you that Sci-Fi/Fantasy is an abomination. Those are two entirely different categories that draw two very different sets of readers. Might as well have a month for biography/romance or history/humor.