Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Can you make a folder inside a Collection on Kindle?

I was wondering if you could set up a folder inside a collection on the Kindle? Sort of if I had a collection named Stephen King, could I set up another folder/collection inside that one and name it The Dark Tower? I haven't figured out how of if this could be done. Thanks in advance for any help.

David.
davtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Nope. Doesn't let you. Collections are a 1 level deep thing only.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Nope. Doesn't let you. Collections are a 1 level deep thing only.
Correct, but with Kindle's collections books can be in more than one collection. You can create a "Stephen King Dark Tower" beside the "Steven King" collection and list books in it that are also listed in the larger "Steven King" collection.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your help. I was afraid that it wouldn't be possible. Seems like a function that people would use for organization, wonder why it wasn't put in?

David.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Perhaps you should give some consideration to using a plugboard within Calibre.

Link here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100949

This way my books are labelled with Series Name, #, Title

I also entered a 2nd line in the plugboard to shorten the author name to Initial Surname. This freed up how much text I could get on a line.

Here is a screen shot of main screen showing my collections

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Main.gif
Views:	2990
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	64742

This is a look inside the Wiblur Smith Collection

Name:	Screen_WilburSmith.gif
Views:	2560
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	64743

This is a look inside the James Lee Bourke Collection

Note that as you go down some of the titles are so long they are cut off.

Name:	Screen_1st line text.gif
Views:	1667
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	64744

Here I have scrolled down within that colelction to highlight one of the lines that was cut off. Note that you get a second smaller line of text with the remaining title details.

This is another reason why I shortened the author name.

Name:	Screen_2nd line text.gif
Views:	1483
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	64745

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
davtay
The Continental

Thanks Brewjono, I will have to give this some consideration, if it is not too hard. I am not very familiar with much other than the basic stuff with Calibre.
May spend some time over the weekend and try to figure that out. Thanks again.

David.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
It was surprisingly easy to do. I just had to cut and paste the string that they gave me in the above links into the plugboard. 1 into title and 1 into author.

What I then did was create a new library in Calibre called temp. I then connected my Kindle and copied every book that was on my Kindle back into that new Temp library.

I then deleted all the books off my Kindle.

I made sure that the plugboard was setup and then copied all the books from the temp libray back onto the Kindle.

This time the plugboard was applied as they copied across and they were all renamed with series data.

I then deleted the Temp library.

I then used Kindle Collection Manager to re-create all my collections.

This of course was a bit of work as I had 700 odd books but it was a once off, but none of it was difficult, just took some time. Now when I copy books on a couple at a time it is much easier and the plugboard stays on and always applies its settings.

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
davtay
The Continental

Brewjono, what happens to books that are not part of a series? Just regular titles?
How are they named? Sorry to be such a newb. I really appreciate your help.

David.

Last edited by davtay; 01-14-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're using a plugboard to add series information to the title of a book, it will not do anything to the title of a book which is not part of a series.

I have mine set up so that it produces titles of the format:

Poirot 01 - The Mysterious Affair at Styles
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
davtay
The Continental

Sounds good Harry. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the script that I could copy and paste until if figure out what I am doing. I really appreciate the help that this community gives. I am glad to have found it.

David.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, no problem.

1. Run Calibre.
2. Click the "Preferences" button on the toolbar.
3. On the "Import/Export" line of Preferences, click the "Metadata plugboards" icon.
4. Now, on the "Plugboards" screen, fill in the "Add new plugboard" line as follows:

Format: mobi
Device: KINDLE2 <------ make sure you select KINDLE2 and not KINDLE!
Source template: {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
Destination field: title

Now click "Save plugboard" and you're done. When you transfer a book to your Kindle with Calibre, you should now end up with a title in the desired format.

I should also add a second plugboard which is the same as the one above, but with a format of "prc" rather than "mobi". That way it'll work for files with both "prc" and "mobi" extensions.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
davtay
The Continental

Harry, thanks to you and Brewjono, as I never would have had the courage to try this on my own. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

David.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're very welcome .
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
davtay
The Continental

"I then connected my Kindle and copied every book that was on my Kindle back into that new Temp library."

Brewjono, this is the step I am at and I cannot figure how to do this. I am sure I am missing a simple step, but haven't got it yet.

David.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davtay View Post
"I then connected my Kindle and copied every book that was on my Kindle back into that new Temp library."

Brewjono, this is the step I am at and I cannot figure how to do this. I am sure I am missing a simple step, but haven't got it yet.

David.
I think that Brewjono means that he imported the books from the "documents" folder of his Kindle back into a new Calibre library. ie, connect the Kindle to the PC, open a Windows Explorer window, and navigate to the "documents" folder on the Kindle, then just drag all the books from there into Calibre.