Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
- AC cable is too short
- no Bluetooth
- no Google Market
- mono rather than stereo speaker
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
scrabblelady
scrabblelady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I agree that they released it too soon. Right now I can't even access my library; I get an error message saying that the unit can't connect to the Kobo server (whatever that is -- why should I need to connect to anything to simply read something off of my internal memory? Anyhow, my WiFi is working fine.) Anyone else having this problem? I called Kobo customer service and was referred for tech support, but for now I can't use the Vox for reading books. Ridiculous.
scrabblelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I haven't had it crash yet although it was real sluggish there once after installing an app. Shutdown/restart fixed that.
It always locks up hard if you leave it on the charger too long with WiFi on, or else if you have it in the Kobo app. I've had that freeze in the middle of a page-turn.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #19
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
I wish it supported creating new bookshelves so I can sort my collection. I wish it had sepia tone in the Kobo app.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

I'll bet you anything Roxy that in the next update or two it will. I'm just glad I got mine when I did. A few niggles (though what you described in your review about bleeding and the bezel sounds like just bad luck) but on the whole I'm happy.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #21
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Well, given that the iPad 2 has backlight bleeding issues, that's a known risk with most tablets I'm familiar with. Most of the major known issues now are software based, which at least can be fixed.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #22
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

I'm sorry but where have they participated in this Vox forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
And I am encouraged by Kobo's agile development model -- and active participation in forums like MR -- which means that my $199 investment today is likely to be a better, richer reading experience one month, three months and six months from now.
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #23
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek790 View Post
There were a few posts from Kobo reps in the days leading up to the launch, and I've seen Kobo employees post in the main Kobo forum here at least a couple times.

They're aware of the forum at least and willing to help where they can, it's a step up from a lot of hardware vendors these days.

It's a point in the 'pro' column for me if nothing else while I'm deciding whether or not to get a Vox.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #24
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek790 View Post
I just finished reading this thread, where someone from Kobo replied.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #25
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Had an interesting experience yesterday. I was reading on the Vox while using one of the electronic exercise bikes at the gym (the same thing happened on the Elliptical machine) and found that the screen would not advance by finger touch or swipe. As long as it was leaning against the electronic display on the bike or elliptical, the screen was only responsive to exaggerated swipes. Picking the device up solved the problem immediately. I presume that it is some form of interference but is a deal breaker for me. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Last edited by sjfwhite; 11-01-2011 at 07:31 PM.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #26
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Any tablet with capacitance touch screen would probably react same way while in contact with those screens. Kobo touch with IR touch screen should be ok. So lift it off to change page and lower it back down on the screen. Resistance touch would also be ok but they require heavy pressure of a stylus.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
The iPad is capacitive isn't it? This never has never occurred with my iPad or iPad 2. When the screen is not detecting touch simply because of what it is lying against (with equivalent pressure) how is that not a problem? Thanks - I think I may be missing something here.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Hi ScrabbleLady,
Please check this thread, where I responded with some help for someone else with this issue.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155625

Let me know (ideally in that thread), if you're still having trouble.

Thanks,
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabblelady View Post
I agree that they released it too soon. Right now I can't even access my library; I get an error message saying that the unit can't connect to the Kobo server (whatever that is -- why should I need to connect to anything to simply read something off of my internal memory? Anyhow, my WiFi is working fine.) Anyone else having this problem? I called Kobo customer service and was referred for tech support, but for now I can't use the Vox for reading books. Ridiculous.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
scrabblelady
scrabblelady began at the beginning.

James -- thanks for the link. Thankfully, I did the factory reset on my own after I wrote, figuring nothing else would work -- and it did. Of course, this is an inelegant solution and will be a real problem as I add more apps and books to the Vox because, as you know, each factory reset causes a loss of all data.

Now, on to the next annoyance: is there any way to stop that annoying blinking green light at the top of the Vox? It's very distracting when you're reading to see a perpetually blinking light. Can someone please address this? Thanks!
scrabblelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
scrabblelady: I don't have a blinking green light except just after tapping the power button and before the screen turns on. Sounds like it might be a deficiency in yours?
dmacmart is online now   Reply With Quote