Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #91
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Dawson View Post
I enjoyed the movie I haven't read the books.
I did the same with the Hunger Games. Saw movie and still haven't read the books. I'll probably listen to them after I see Hunger Games 2.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #92
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Hunger Games movie sucked. The book was great.

Ender's Game the movie was okay. I'd give it an 8. The violence was dumbed down.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Ender's Game the movie was okay. I'd give it an 8. The violence was dumbed down.
Dumbed down? You can't get much more violent than committing genocide, and that certainly wasn't dumbed down.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #94
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Is it possible to "dumb down" violence ?

Oops, sorry, came over all 60/70's then, I'm sure my hair got a bit longer

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #95
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I did the same with the Hunger Games. Saw movie and still haven't read the books. I'll probably listen to them after I see Hunger Games 2.
I would not bother with book 2 or 3. 2 is just a repeat of 1 and 3 is just a muddled piece of ****.

As for Enders Game, loved the book, enjoyed most of the rest of the Enderverse books even though they were entirely different. They got a little boring after a while and I gave up on them at some point, don't know how many are left that I haven't read.

Looking forward to the movie even though it doesn't come out until December here in Australia.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I would not bother with book 2 or 3. 2 is just a repeat of 1 and 3 is just a muddled piece of ****.

As for Enders Game, loved the book, enjoyed most of the rest of the Enderverse books even though they were entirely different. They got a little boring after a while and I gave up on them at some point, don't know how many are left that I haven't read.

Looking forward to the movie even though it doesn't come out until December here in Australia.
I'll eventually give it a try. In the meantime, I'm getting close to getting the audiobook of Ender's Game. I'm finally #2 on the waiting list at a small library system that only has two copies. It pays to be on multiple waiting lists; and frequently, it's the smaller libraries that deliver first.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #97
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
We saw the movie Tuesday, rural town, we were the only two in the audience, so a private showing essentially! We enjoyed it, felt it was reasonably faithful to the book, but did wonder how someone who'd never read the book would react. It did feel rather truncated, even though it got the basics of the book across.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #98
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
We saw the movie Tuesday, rural town, we were the only two in the audience, so a private showing essentially!
That's how I like it - I always try to go on the very last day the movie is showing and have been the only audience member quite a few times. It's absolute bliss to only have to listen to the rustling of my own popcorn.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #99
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
That's how I like it - I always try to go on the very last day the movie is showing and have been the only audience member quite a few times. It's absolute bliss to only have to listen to the rustling of my own popcorn.
Yes, we usually pick mid-week and near when the movie is about to leave town for that reason. We very often get a private or near private showing.

There are benefits to living in smaller towns!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #100
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
The only problem with that is that the movie is often moved to smaller auditoriums with smaller, crappier screens to make way for new films. If your theater still uses film projectors, the film itself is usually worse for wear with scratches and spots, etc.

When I didn't work evenings, I would catch the last matinee on Friday or Monday of the opening weekend. I like watching the movie with other people in the theater (but not a capacity crowd) and usually at those times you don't get the talking, cellphone-using people.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #101
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The only problem with that is that the movie is often moved to smaller auditoriums with smaller, crappier screens to make way for new films. If your theater still uses film projectors, the film itself is usually worse for wear with scratches and spots, etc.
While I agree in general, there aren't any screens in my cinema which I consider sub-par for any kind of film and I'll happily take a somewhat smaller, empty auditorium over a huge, full-to-the-rafters one. Happily it's also gone all-digital.

But sure, I wouldn't have wanted to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy in a tiny auditorium and on a tiny screen.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #102
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I didn't love the movie. Didn't hate it either. I thought the acting for the most part and most of the characters was sub par. The battle room was cool enough for effects but not truly stunning. All the kids holding their arms up in the shuttle looked totally hokey.

I'm not sure anyone who didn't love the book would have like the movie much at all. There's so much to the story that is important and doesn't make the film.

Nowhere near as good as Lord of the Rings or Jurassic Park, Twilight or Harry Potter. Next level down but still far better was the Hunger Games movie.

It was not the disaster of Dune or Battlefield Earth. Somewhere above the worst kind of movie and far shot of "really well done" IMHO.

It did spur me to reread the series. I've read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow (same story from Bean's perspective), Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and I'm now rereading Children of the Mind. Interestingly, about 1/4 the way through Xenocide I could no longer remember the plot. I haven't remembered the plot of Children of the Mind at all. I KNOW I MUST have read the book before...but doesn't feel like it. Good stuff.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #103
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "battle school" scenes are well done, I think. It's a big space station in Earth orbit, with two rotating rings to provide artificial gravity for the living quarters, and an enormous non-rotating sphere between them for the zero-g battle room. Much as I pictured from the book. And as you would expect these days, the zero-g battles themselves are convincingly portrayed.
I loved the Mind Game. It was nothing like I had imagined and WAY cooler than I had imagined. When I reread the book I can very much see how the movie version was right on. I just never "got it" that way myself.

I liked the Mazer Rackham character and Graff. Ender was fine as well given that they decided to pick just one boy and not several to represent Ender from 6-13 or so.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #104
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
As most always, the book was much better than the movie.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #105
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I thought the book was only so so.

The movie was slightly better.

This years Sci-FY/Fantasy movies, I would rate

Oblivion a fair amount better than Ender's Game,
and Elysium a little better.

I rate the Will Smith movie, about the same.

I await the Dragon...
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote