Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Easy to read fonts for LCD/OLED screens

I know there are many favorite font threads, but the majority of posters respond in reference to e-ink. And I think what looks best on an e-ink device is not necessarily the most appropriate choice for LCD screens.

At the moment, on my nook color I'm using droid-serif. The choice is a bit of a compromise to be honest. I prefer both the droid-sans and merriweather fonts to droid-serif. However, neither has an italics version, which leads to obvious formatting issues in a number of books.

Thus, I'm curious to see which fonts other mobileread members use on their android devices in order to perhaps find a more perfect font.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Hi,
my answer is going to be a bit broader than just fonts but it reflects my experience with making ebooks easy to read on my Android device (Samsung 8.9"). Things I found that helped with readability (for a late-50s male):
1. Making the white space between lines = 40% to 50% of the text height
2. Adjusting the text size so the number of words per line normally ranges between 8 to 11 words
3. Setting the background colour so it is light gray / off white
4. Fast access to the brightness control to adjust screen brightness to match the room's ambient light level
Once I had all this, I then experimented with different fonts to find the one I liked most. It ended up being Droid Serif. According to a book "The Dynamics of Document Design", different fonts suit different styles of documents, but serif fonts are good for fiction, while sans serif are good for non-fiction.
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert