Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I am continuing to update post #21 with nominated books (and put fully nominated books in post #1), please let me know of any errors, changes, or additional information I need to fix/add.

Welcome to MR and thank you for your selections.
As said, 1984 already has 3 nominations.

In order to be eligible, books need to be in the public domain. I also would to have both title and author and would especially like to have at least a link and book blurb to make it easier to post them.

Would you please supply me with more information about your eligible choice? Thank you.
Among Women is available at Smashwords and is copyright 2011.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/46125
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #62
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I nominate Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey.

This is another book I have been meaning to read for years.

Here are two quotes from Amazon's webpage: "''Zane Grey epitomized the mythical West that should have been. . . The standout among them is Riders of the Purple Sage.'' --True West Magazine..."RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE has played a significant role in shaping the formula of the popular Western genre. It remains a highly popular story in the cowboy genre to this day."

I have found two MR links:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=Zane+Grey
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=Zane+Grey
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #63
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you've thirded The War of the Worlds. can you please rethrid again as it's not been a book of the month before.
my post was about brave new world, i put a link up to the book from the internet archive but removed it when i was told it wasn't public domain.

but i will add a third to war of the worlds to get it to voting
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #64
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Second Age of Innocence

I havenot read any Zane Grey since I used to read it with my PawPaw. Second Riders of the Purple Sage for warm fuzzy reminencense or however you spell it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
my post was about brave new world, i put a link up to the book from the internet archive but removed it when i was told it wasn't public domain.

but i will add a third to war of the worlds to get it to voting
Thank you very much. I wasn't asking you to do it. Only if PB's post caused you not to.
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Second Age of Innocence

I havenot read any Zane Grey since I used to read it with my PawPaw. Second Riders of the Purple Sage for warm fuzzy reminencense or however you spell it.
Thirded. I've not read any Zane Grey and if this wins, would be a good way to get me to do so. Col. Potter loved Zane Grey books.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #67
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

question.

i have read the rules and my understanding is i can nominate 1 book, then 2nd or 3rd other books correct?

can i nominate 1 book, then 2nd or third another book and then use one of my other options for a new book to nominate or can i only nominate 1. i'm pretty sure it's the one book but i thought i'd ask to clarify. first time i'm nominating, second time i'm participating in the month read.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #68
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
question.

i have read the rules and my understanding is i can nominate 1 book, then 2nd or 3rd other books correct?

can i nominate 1 book, then 2nd or third another book and then use one of my other options for a new book to nominate or can i only nominate 1. i'm pretty sure it's the one book but i thought i'd ask to clarify. first time i'm nominating, second time i'm participating in the month read.
You have 3 slots. You can use those 3 slots anyway you see fit, but, you only have 3.

So in my case I "2nd-ed" 3 books instead of nominating (or "3rding") any.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #69
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
question.

Good question. The first post says:
Quote:
How Many Nominations Can I Make?
Each participant has 3 nominations. You can nominate a new book for consideration or nominate (second, third) one that has already been nominated by another person.
So, your nominations or seconds or thirds all count as the same. You just get 3.

1 - nominate 3 books only
2 - nominate 2 books and use your last one for a second or third on another book
3 - nominate 1 book and then use your other two for seconds or thirds on two other books.
4 - use all three for second or thirds on 3 different books.

I hope that helped?

**I just hit preview and saw your post, Nyssa. Thank you.**
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #70
siraks
use the force

thanks for the quick replies
Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #71
siraks
use the force

well since i nominated one and thrid-ed another i'll take my last slot and put in this book.
i've never read christie and i purchased one for the kobo but since this one is free why not start there.

i'll nominate

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie

description from wiki

Spoiler:
he novel is set in England during World War I at Styles Court, an Essex country manor (also the setting of Curtain, Poirot's last case). Upon her husband's death, the wealthy widow, Emily Cavendish, inherited a life estate in Styles as well as the outright inheritance of the larger part of the late Mr. Cavendish's income. Mrs. Cavendish became Mrs. Inglethorp upon her recent remarriage to a much younger man, Alfred Inglethorp. Emily's two stepsons, John and Lawrence Cavendish, as well as John's wife Mary and several other people, also live at Styles. John Cavendish is the vested remainderman of Styles; that is, the property will pass to him automatically upon his stepmother's decease, as per his late father's will. The income left to Mrs Inglethorp by her late husband would be distributed as per Mrs. Inglethorp's own will.[2]

Late one night, the residents of Styles wake to find Emily Inglethorp dying of what proves to be strychnine poisoning. Lieutenant Hastings, a houseguest, enlists the help of his friend Hercule Poirot, who is staying in the nearby village, Styles St. Mary. Poirot pieces together events surrounding the murder. On the day she was killed, Emily Inglethorp was overheard arguing with someone, most likely her husband, Alfred, or her stepson, John. Afterwards, she seemed quite distressed and, apparently, made a new will — which no one can find. She ate little at dinner and retired early to her room with her document case. The case was later forced open by someone and a document removed. Alfred Inglethorp left Styles earlier in the evening and stayed overnight in the nearby village, so was not present when the poisoning occurred. Nobody can explain how or when the strychnine was administered to Mrs. Inglethorp.

At first, Alfred is the prime suspect. He has the most to gain financially from his wife's death, and, since he is so much younger than Emily was, the Cavendishes already suspect him as a fortune hunter. Evelyn Howard, Emily's companion, seems to hate him most of all. His behaviour, too, is suspicious; he openly purchased strychnine in the village before Emily was poisoned, and although he denies it, he refuses to provide an alibi. The police are keen to arrest him, but Poirot intervenes by proving he could not have purchased the poison. Scotland Yard police later arrest Emily Inglethorp’s oldest stepson, John Cavendish. He inherits under the terms of her will, and there is evidence to suggest he also had obtained poison.

Poirot clears Cavendish by proving it was, after all, Alfred Inglethorp who committed the crime, assisted by Evelyn Howard, who turns out to be his kissing cousin,[3] not his enemy. The guilty pair poisoned Emily by adding a precipitating agent, bromide (obtained from Mrs Inglethorp's sleeping powder), to her regular evening medicine, causing its normally innocuous strychnine constituents to sink to the bottom of the bottle where they were finally consumed in a single, lethal dose. Their plan had been for Alfred Inglethorp to incriminate himself with false evidence, which could then be refuted at his trial. Once acquitted, due to double jeopardy, he could not be tried for the crime a second time should any genuine evidence against him be subsequently discovered, hence prompting Poirot to keep him out of prison when he realised that Alfred wanted to be arrested.

book available here at project gutenberg -- http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/863
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
well since i nominated one and thrid-ed another i'll take my last slot and put in this book.
i've never read christie and i purchased one for the kobo but since this one is free why not start there.

i'll nominate

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
That one was already read in September, 2009. So you still have your 1 nomination left.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #73
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That one was already read in September, 2009. So you still have your 1 nomination left.
crap. haha. i'm super new. where do i find books that have been used before?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #74
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I second Don Q
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
crap. haha. i'm super new. where do i find books that have been used before?
Look in the Reading Recommendations forum and look for the threads that start Book Club. You can see what's been nominated, voted on and discussed.