Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #22006
flopis
flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.flopis knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kindle
Thumbs up Warriors in Paradise

I just read Warriors in Paradise by Luis Gutierrez-Poucel. What a surprise! I couldn't put it down. I finished it in a day. Fiction and action at its best. It takes place in Acapulco and Washington DC. Three uncommon friends who suffer a rare genetic mutation of the warrior gene become a well-oiled killing machine. There is plenty of carnage as mobsters appear unexpectedly on scenes surrounded by luxury. I even learned a thing or two about American history…When you get to the real show, I was marveled at the efficient and well-organized machinery that functions for the good of the highest levels of society …the author even throws in phrases like: A friendship that ends is a friendship that never began.
This novel is a real eye opening account on how crime, drugs trafficking and prostitution is managed and by whom. From international cartels in Washington to local municipal characters in Acapulco nobody escapes from the warriors rage …and you will even get the best recipe for a mango margarita!
If you are a lady who likes to read about love scenes, handsome men and good Mexican recipes…If you are a man who likes mystery, adventure, a good fight and mysterious dealings in drugs and prostitution…Warriors in Paradise is great reading!
I can’t wait to read the second book of the series, but I think we have to put a bit of pressure on the author to finish it...
flopis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #22007
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Currently reading "White Jade" by Alex Lukeman

This is the first book in the series. I previously read "The Nostradamus File" - got it on a free day, and really liked it. He has written about 8 or 9 in the series. Currently reading White Jade, which I think is very good and keeps my interest. Will probably run through the entire series.

Synopsis from Amazon:
WHITE JADE spins a web of deceit and murder across the globe, against the backdrop of a deadly international power game.

Former Recon Marine Nick Carter is a man with a dark history of emotional and physical scars. He works for the PROJECT, a covert counter-terrorism unit reporting to the President. Selena Connor is a beautiful, strong and skilled linguist. When her wealthy uncle is murdered by someone looking for an ancient book about the elixir of immortality, she's thrown into Nick's dangerous world.

Nick is assigned to protect Selena and help her recover the missing text. It's the beginning of a life and death adventure reaching from San Francisco to Beijing, from Washington to the hidden chambers of Tibet. Someone is determined to take over China and attack America--and Nick and Selena are right in the line of fire.

International intrigue, terrorist acts and the threat of nuclear war form the core of this fast-paced thriller, the first volume in a series featuring Nick, Selena and the PROJECT.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #22008
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne.
Finished this item yesterday. Overall, I thought the story was quite bland. No suspense or red herrings. Very little detail which is unusual for novels of that period. Enjoyed it but it's obvious mysteries were not Milne's strong suit. Oh, and he used one of my least favorite plot devices. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next read TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 AM   #22009
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey
Which was OK. But for Science Fiction there were some massive flaws.

Spoiler:
* Power generation from locally sourced oil
* Amazingly powerful mobile computing, but analog radios
* Analog radios working under water
* Deep water diving suits are a lot harder to make and much more dangerous than depicted

I liked the idea. I quite liked the writing and characters. I hated the bad science/technology.

Next up: Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone. My most recent purchase, thanks to a 90% off coupon from Kobo.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-28-2015 at 06:47 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #22010
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Checking out Daryl Gregory's new Lovecraftian-inspired adventure/mystery (some say YA, I say "book") Harrison Squared. Creepily fun so far.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #22011
erzebet
Book Author
erzebet began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3162B - busted; Kindle 3G - still working!
I'm currently reading an almost obscure work on comparative gerontology - the science of aging. Written in the 90s, it's called "Longevity, Senescence and the Genome" by Caleb E. Finch. The subject has potential, but the writing is very dry and academic.
erzebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #22012
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I enjoyed reading (finally finishing) Bitter Medicine a whole bunch! I like this series a lot! In fact I sometimes fantasize that Vicki Warshawski and Harry Dresden meet up in Chicago and end up working on and solving a case together!

Next, since I'm an avid fan of Veronica Mars (TV show, movie and mystery novels) I'm gonna' try Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars by Rob Thomas.
I've put aside Neptune Noir after reading 35% of it. I'm now 12% into Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-28-2015 at 03:21 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #22013
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I finished the Legend trilogy and Life Before Legend a few days ago and now I think I'm going to read The Maze Runner series. Fortunately I have all of 'em. 'Just bought The Scorch Trials this week.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #22014
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone. My most recent purchase, thanks to a 90% off coupon from Kobo.
Which was splendid. An excellent fantasy series, which are stand-alone novels but set in the same world, where gods are real but mortal, and magic and accountancy go together.

Next up: The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith. Bought yesterday with no-rush prime shipping credits. from Amazon.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #22015
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Bought yesterday with no-rush prime shipping credits. from Amazon.
???
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #22016
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Checking out Daryl Gregory's new Lovecraftian-inspired adventure/mystery (some say YA, I say "book") Harrison Squared. Creepily fun so far.
Very, very enjoyable. The story was almost as good as its cover was awful.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #22017
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
???
Prime members are guaranteed two-day shipping free. Oftentimes, Amazon will offer credit ($1 in my experience) if the Prime member chooses a slower shipping option.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #22018
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
???
I'm signed up to Amazon Prime - the membership costs £79 per year. Among other benefits is free next-day shipping. But if one forgoes that benefit on any particular order and chooses 'no rush' shipping, Amazon add £1 credit to your account to be spent on music, apps, or ebooks.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #22019
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Prime members are guaranteed two-day shipping free. Oftentimes, Amazon will offer credit ($1 in my experience) if the Prime member chooses a slower shipping option.
Quote:
I'm signed up to Amazon Prime - the membership costs £79 per year. Among other benefits is free next-day shipping. But if one forgoes that benefit on any particular order and chooses 'no rush' shipping, Amazon add £1 credit to your account to be spent on music, apps, or ebooks.
Thanks. I'm a Prime member too, but I had no idea you could get credits if you didn't choose the next day option. Often I don't particularly need the quick delivery, so will bear this in mind for the future.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #22020
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
... next up is The Organist Wore Pumps, the 8th book in Mark Schweizer's "Liturgical Mysteries". These are so rollicking funny. The first in the series is The Alto Wore Tweed, and it's only $0.99.
Finished The Organist Wore Pumps along with The Countertenor Wore Garlic. I have the next three books on hand, but I'm going to take a break from this series for a short while.

I think the next up is The Fall, the second book in Annelie Wendeberg's mystery series starring Anna Kronberg and Sherlock Holmes.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote