Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #3496
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My sons Kindle 3 is jailbroke and had the screensavers hack (cover mode) and recently stopped stopped changing the covers. I rebooted and then it came up with the screen saying that "it's installed but hadn't made a cover yet". I uninstalled the screensaver hack and python and reinstalled both. Restarted and now I get the "screensavers hack was successful screen" but that's it.

Kindle 3W with 3.4.1
Screensaver hack 0.45.N
Python 0.11.N

Any ideas?
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #3497
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
So what did your son do to it?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #3498
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Possibly a date/time issue, so make sure that's sane. And now you'll have to re-enable cover mode and restart. And, yeah, what knc1 said, too .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #3499
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Possibly a date/time issue, so make sure that's sane. And now you'll have to re-enable cover mode and restart. And, yeah, what knc1 said, too .
Sorry, I should have thought of those suggestions myself.

- - - - -

But you might check the kid's toy box for a small container of tools borrowed from dad's toy box and the remains of various small electronic devices that have gone missing from around the house.
(or even the spare engine for the jeep you thought you had misplaced)

What is that old saying? Ah...
"The leaf does not fall far from the tree."
something like that one.

Last edited by knc1; 03-27-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #3500
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's my old K3 that I gave him about a year ago, I doubt he messed it up.

I checked the time and it was off by about 4 hours but didn't see a date on it at all.

My wife's K3, same everything, still has the covers screensaver working. Is there a way to force it to recreate the cover?
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #3501
knc1
Going Viral

Yes - that is the:
Quote:
And now you'll have to re-enable cover mode and restart.
part of Niluje's post.

- - - -

Does the wife's k3 also have the wrong time by 4 hours?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #3502
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
It's my old K3 that I gave him about a year ago, I doubt he messed it up.
I checked the time and it was off by about 4 hours but didn't see a date on it at all.
My wife's K3, same everything, still has the covers screensaver working. Is there a way to force it to recreate the cover?
To find the date search for 'is' from the home screen.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #3503
pleiade67
pleiade67 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard 3.4.1
keyboard hack

Hi,

In 2011 I installed the current version of keybru on my Kindle 3 (FW 3.0.2) to have access to french accented characters.
I have rencently upgraded to V3.4.1, reinstalled the jailbreak, savescreen and justification hacks. Everything went smoothly.
But after reading this thread I have understood that the keybru hack is no longer compatible with FW 3.4.1.
Is there an alternative ?
Although I would prefer not modifyng the keyboard layout, does physkeyb work with FW 3.4.1 ?

Thank you for your reply,
pleiade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #3504
rednuht
rednuht began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT2 5.6.1
Question What file do I need for a brand new KT2?

I followed the wiki link and identified my kindle as

90C6 Kindle Basic (2014) KT2, BASIC [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.3]
version in settings : Kindle 5.6.1

and I have downloaded the zip file kindle-jailbreak-0.13.N.zip but I am unsure which file is relevent.

Should I just try Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k2_install.bin ?
rednuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #3505
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@rednuht: There's no software jailbreak for the KT2.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #3506
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is the thread for the really old legacy hardware.

You should be looking in the Touch/Paperwhite jailbreak thread... which astutely points out everything you need to know about jailbreaking touch-enabled Kindles, namely, as NiLuJe said, you can't.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #3507
rednuht
rednuht began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT2 5.6.1
can you update the first post to reflect this?

All the jailbreaking links point to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...#Jail_break_JB which in turn point to this thread.

And the title post does feel like its the canonical oracle of information.
rednuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #3508
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Better solution: fix the wiki, it's publicly editable .

The title of this post couldn't be more clear . If I start putting cross-refs to barely related stuff just to alleviate reading comprehension failures, things are going to get bloated real fast .
Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #3509
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Is it possible to manually add a cover to the cover_cache directory for documents which lack a cover that the script can extract? For example, I have some PDF files where the first page of the file is actually a cover image. Looking at the contents of the cover_cache directory I see the files are named cover_*.png, where the * appears to be the ASIN but may be something else. Is there a way to generate the required file name and create the image via GIMP from the cover image? Of course I am assuming that the screen saver will recognize the manually created cover in the cache, right?

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #3510
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Short answer: Nope, but nice thinking .

Long answer: Not without a couple of changes at least (currently we don't even listen for the opening of PDFs, for instance), and most importantly hoping that the firmware does something non-stupid with PDFs that gives us a way to identify those reliably. Which I'm not terribly sure is the case, but I'll admit to not having looked at it much, if ever.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet