Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
dasoulseeker
dasoulseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, DR1000s
Lightbulb PRS-500 users - hear me out...

Well, I am a PRS-500 owner myself, and I have seen many others disappointed at the lack of firmware update for our readers. But I am not here to debate whether Sony is evil.

To me, the only significant new feature was the pdf reflow, and I suspect this for many others too. Whilst porting the firmware will probably be difficult (if not hardware wise impossible), I just want to read the big pdfs. After seeing the Sony Ebook Library emulating the PRS-505, I thought - hey, why can't we just take those and save as a new pdf? Or in fact any desktop application which can save a reflowed document in a specified size?

To my surprise, there was nothing.

Suggestions, ideas, technicalities?
dasoulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Check this out - might be an approach:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=289

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm reflowing PDF is exactly what pdf2lrf in calibre does.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
dasoulseeker

Bob: Thanks! I thought Jim didn't reply because it wasn't specifically ADE related.

Kovid: I've been using Calibre and I never realised this! You can see what I mean if you simply google "reflow pdf" - very little comes up. I just experimented with it, but somehow the Ebook Library just produces much better results. For example, it recognises vertical text on the sides of the page, and puts it at the bottom.

I just realised though, that it is simply a matter of exporting the pdf as a reflowable document, and converting it back. Just depends on how well the conversion is. That explains why reflow+save is not a spelled out feature.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
i just save pdfs as an rtf ...
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
dasoulseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdmanley View Post
i just save pdfs as an rtf ...
That just doesn't do as good a job as Sony's reflow. In fact, I have found the emulation to do an even better job than Acrobat 9.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
its better than selling your reader because it doesnt support an upgrade ...
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
dasoulseeker

Indeed. Well unless you think of it AS the upgrade and works out to be worth it.

Tags
firmware, pdf, prs 505, prs-500, reflow