Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #121
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
Unfortunately Allmine won't help you with telephony support on your PE.

Google Voice, when used to make calls on an android phone, actually works via making a regular phone call to google, and then google calls your target for you. It just doesn't look like a phone call in the UI. If you try using google voice to make a phone call on a device without a cellular radio (tablets, PE), it just won't work at all.

So what we need here is VOIP (Voice over IP, i.e. calling via data connection). And you are right that it requires a newer version of android.

Right now, I'm working on getting a kernel to compile for my PE. Once I can confirm that, I will try to make patches of entourage's additions to the kernel so they can be applied to newer kernel source.

Once my serial cable components arrive and I can dive into u-boot I'm going to start hacking on porting ClockworkMod recovery over. That will make ROM development so much easier.

Eventually, I hope to put out a bona fide ROM for the PE.

Until then, Allmine is just a collection of half-assed hacks.

Stay tuned!
This is great! Will wait patiently for your ROM to roll out! I still cannot make the market work (saying it cannot establish reliable connection to the server... although I follow your steps to the T).
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #122
kittenz96
kittenz96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia E71x
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/

gives you a full unadulterated access to the Market without any restrictions based on abilities of your phone or whatever.

Better yet:
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/

No, it won't. Well, depending on your definition of issues.
Thank you SOOOO much Ptsenter! I am not really interested in playing with the only PE I have besides just the basic upgrade, so this gets me the apps I want without tweaking my new toy.
kittenz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #123
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenz96 View Post
Thank you SOOOO much Ptsenter! I am not really interested in playing with the only PE I have besides just the basic upgrade, so this gets me the apps I want without tweaking my new toy.
It comes from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlcab View Post
Not sure why this site is not posted...
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/

Only link you need. Period. People should quit asking about access to the market, its right here...

What is Androiddev.orkitra.com?
We are an online android community forum that provide tutorial and FAQ on android application development. Currently, we are offering our visitors to be able to directly download and share FREE android app (in Android Market) on our website. Our mission is to assist other android users around the world to be able to download android app while they don’t have access to Android Market. We believe that sharing FREE app to the world will benefit both developers and users as the developers will get higher downloads/users count, and users will be able to get more app(s).
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #124
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Did anyone had success installing allmine on EE (not PE). I tried with my new used EE and it got frozen during update requiring reset.

Post-mortem examination showed that it made it through the script up to reading serial number. The serial number file was not created, so looks like those kernel modules coming with allmine are not compatible with EE. Also I found that cat /sys/class/graphics/fb2/properties actually does not have serial number at all. Is it only mine?
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #125
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Hi birdheh,

I started a thread, "Pocket Edge as a Telephone" to gather together different peoples experiences.

Would you please post how you set up grooveIp and got Google Voice working on the PE.

Thanks.

I would like to try this myself...

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #126
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
Did anyone had success installing allmine on EE (not PE). I tried with my new used EE and it got frozen during update requiring reset.

Post-mortem examination showed that it made it through the script up to reading serial number. The serial number file was not created, so looks like those kernel modules coming with allmine are not compatible with EE. Also I found that cat /sys/class/graphics/fb2/properties actually does not have serial number at all. Is it only mine?
No, vicinc lost his serial number also.

See our exchange:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...145540&page=11
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #127
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

chronicles of allmine installation on EE

So I finished allmine update script manually by creating /system/serial_number with contents from the label on the back of the device with extra zero inserted.

I also did sqlite update of library.db, and finally unppacked gapps and rebooted. I was greeted with android setup wizard and went into account signup - that does not work . Can't establish a reliable data connection.

logcat shows the following:
I/CheckinTask( 4915): Sending checkin request (778 bytes)
E/CheckinTask( 4915): Checkin failed: https://android.clients.google.com/checkin (request #0)
E/CheckinTask( 4915): java.io.IOException: Rejected response from server: HTTP/1.1 400 invalid hardware identifier: "MF1234560003B7" is not a valid MEID (expect 14 hex digits)

Well, changed M to B in /system/serial_number, rebooted and ...

"Your Google Account is now linked to this phone."

Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #128
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
even the force update via serial cable does not work, i think due to serial missing. this is what I call cripple recovery ptsenter. unless the update.zip can be edited to do not due serial check and insert a generic serial, I think we are stucked.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #129
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
So I finished allmine update script manually by creating /system/serial_number with contents from the label on the back of the device with extra zero inserted.

I also did sqlite update of library.db, and finally unppacked gapps and rebooted. I was greeted with android setup wizard and went into account signup - that does not work . Can't establish a reliable data connection.

logcat shows the following:
I/CheckinTask( 4915): Sending checkin request (778 bytes)
E/CheckinTask( 4915): Checkin failed: https://android.clients.google.com/checkin (request #0)
E/CheckinTask( 4915): java.io.IOException: Rejected response from server: HTTP/1.1 400 invalid hardware identifier: "MF1234560003B7" is not a valid MEID (expect 14 hex digits)

Well, changed M to B in /system/serial_number, rebooted and ...

"Your Google Account is now linked to this phone."

How did you created the serial manually? I can not see any serial_number on my working PE only in /sys/classes/graphics/fb02 properties

Last edited by vicinc; 10-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #130
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
How did you created the serial manually? I can not see any serial_number on my working PE only in /sys/classes/graphics/fb02 properties
Almine install script creates this file: /system/serial_number, and put the serial number that is read from fb2 properties there. Looks like any 14 digit hex number would actually do the trick though.

So i just manually created this file in editor - busybox vi /system/serial_number
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #131
vicinc
Guru

ah ok. my trouble is that I am missing the fb2 all together and the ermine or golden update do not update the device if the serial is missing.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #132
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:

/sys/class/graphics/fb2/properties is not a regular file, it's a named pipe.

To get the serial number you have to echo SERIAL_NUMBER into that file, then read the first line in that file.

Try that, see if that makes it show up.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #133
vicinc
Guru

the trouble is that I don not even have fb2 folder and consequently nothing in that file
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #134
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
/sys/class/graphics/fb2/properties is not a regular file, it's a named pipe.

To get the serial number you have to echo SERIAL_NUMBER into that file, then read the first line in that file.
Hm, just tried it now allmine is installed on it and it does show real sn (13 digits starting with M), not the one that I put into /system/serial_number - (14 hex digits).

This serial number business is really annoying - the usb device properties have serial number 0123456789ABCDEF on both EE and PE, as result it is not possible to connect ADB over usb to both of them simultaneously. I had to install ADBwireless on EE.

The reason is ro.serialno is empty, ESI did not set up platform properties correctly. The ro.esi.device.sn is set and correct though. I was trying to set ro.serialno using setprop in startup scripts but that did not work for me.

No I have to figure out why EE lost hibernate ability after allmine (ermine?), although I set ro.product.name and ro.product.device to edge
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #135
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist

Quote:
No I have to figure out why EE lost hibernate ability after allmine (ermine?), although I set ro.product.name and ro.product.device to edge
Here is why (logcat after opening settings):
D/Settings( 8471): Not pocket device removing power saving settings

Who would care heh?

Could anyone with ermine on EE confirm that they do have "Power saving" option in settings?