Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Active Content not working in latest Kindles?

I got my brand new PW3 today. It has firmware version 5.7.4.
I tried "delivering" some free active content apps from Amazon to this. But the option to select PW3 was greyed out(shown as my "2nd Kindle").
I then downloaded a few by selecting "deliver to my 1st Kindle"(PW1). I also copied some from my earlier backups. All *.azw2 files.
None of these apps work on the new PW3. They all work fine on the original PW1.
Does this mean that the *.azw2 apps made for the jailbroken Kindle also wont work?
Like: KUAL, Collections Manager, Kindle Calculator...?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have 5.7.4.1 on my PW3, and KUAL is working just fine. Make sure you have the jailbreak (and hotfix+MKK) installed. What exactly do you mean "None of these apps work on the new PW3."? What are your symptoms of failure? Is your PW3 slate or white? Please describe the steps you used to install and test them. Thanks.

We may need produce native-mode (C) apps to replace some of these active documents for the Oasis or newer, or convert them to work with another version of Java (such as JamVM, or perhaps porting a JVM from an earlier kindle model if needed).

There is a native-mode KUAL-like launcher in progress now (for K1 and Oasis support). Though it is planned to work on all kindles (including the K4, with terminal support built-in).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Amazon is no longer supporting active content. You are not the first to ask that. Some active content is also no longer available.

It is worth noting that you will also find a few books not compatible with your device. They are rare but they are there.

I am not sure about collections or the calculator.

As Geekmaster pointed out KUAL is not an Amazon app. You have to jailbreak your PW3.
If you want to jailbreak your PW3, we need to know if it has special offers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Geekmaster and Cinisajoy..
Just now started on jailbreaking my PW3..
Was just wondering since Amazon's own *.azw2 apps no longer work, whether KUAL and Collection Manager - which are also packaged as .azw2 files, will work.
My PW3 is the black one. I just get an error message when I try running the Amazon active content apps.
Of course, the fact that I couldn't select my PW3 for "delivery" is an indication from Amazon that their active content apps are no longer compatible with the new Kindles. The screen resolution would be different, for one thing.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Again KUAL is NOT from Amazon.
It requires the jailbreak.
Oh please do us a favor and let us know if your jailbreak is successful.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Again KUAL is NOT from Amazon.
It requires the jailbreak.
Oh please do us a favor and let us know if your jailbreak is successful.
Patience, Cinisajoy!
I've completed step 5.
Yes.. I do know KUAL isn't from Amazon..
Old 07-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
nasser
Evangelist

Ok.. Jailbreak procedure done.
I assume it's successful, as I didn't get any hangs or loops!
Now how do I install KUAL?
Is it still the same procedure as for PW1.. which I did 3 years ago?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Ok.. Jailbreak procedure done.
I assume it's successful, as I didn't get any hangs or loops!
Now how do I install KUAL?
Is it still the same procedure as for PW1.. which I did 3 years ago?
If you have hotfix and MKK installed, just copy KUAL (v2) to the documents folder. And copy some useful extensions into the extensions folder too. That is all.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
nasser
Evangelist

Thanks, Geekmaster!
KUAL already installed and working..
Now to go for my favourite extensions..
Old 07-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Some background on this:

Amazon officially stopped supporting Active Content, and no longer offers the Kindle Store offerings on new devices.
But it took them a while to actually rip out the support from the firmware, something they seem to finally have done with the Oasis. (KUAL no longer runs on the Oasis. Fortunately, it has just now been ported to a Booklet in response.)

Just because Amazon won't let you download it, doesn't mean it won't work and KUAL has no Amazon-like download restrictions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
(KUAL no longer runs on the Oasis. Fortunately, it has just now been ported to a Booklet in response.)
A little question:
What is the difference between a kindlet and a booklet?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
A little question:
What is the difference between a kindlet and a booklet?
Interface libraries and where in the system GUI stack it interfaces.

For instance: The main screen is a booklet.
Which suggests that Amazon will not be dropping booklet support any time soon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also, booklets live in the rootfs (in /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/ ) as opposed to being documents in the userstore.

Which means to install the booklet version, you must *install* it, not merely drop a document in the userstore.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Thanks knc1 and eschwartz for the info

Apart from that, booklets development is similar to kindlets development (i mean they uses Java)?
There is any howto somewhere?

Last edited by encol; 07-19-2016 at 07:42 PM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Thanks knc1 and eschwartz for the info

Apart from that, booklets development is similar to kindlets development (i mean they uses Java)?
There is any howto somewhere?
Ah, source code reading I believe is the 'HowTo' guide at the moment.

In addition to the KUAL-booklet, there is the KPVbooklet as resources.

Yes, it is Java -
And rather un-documented Java at that (Amazon did not intend it be used outside of their own programming department).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote