Notices

Old 02-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
DanielSt
Enthusiast
DanielSt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle DX firmware -- last update

Hello All,

I've found a used Kindle DX online with no wifi, only 3G connection. I'm looking for a Kindle whose firmware has not been updated in a long time (like at least for more than 4 years), since the newer firmwares cause me eye and other problems that render them unusable to me.

Did automatic updates come into Kindle DXs via 3G connection? If so, does anyone know what year the last such update was?

I am trying to be really sure that if I buy this DX, it's going to have an older firmware version. (I've already bought a used Kindle Keyboard and used Kindle 4 online, and both, it turned out, had received new-enough automatic updates via their wifi connections (yes, even the Keyboard has wifi) that they are unusable to me).

(I've been trying for weeks to downgrade my now-jailbroken Kindle 7, which got hijacked by Amazon with an automatic update when I briefly turned on wifi for the first time in several years, so far without success)

Thanks in advance for your help!
DanielSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Kindle DX (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B004 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B005 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B009 download this file.
That's truly prehistoric. No KF8/AZW3. No publisher fonts. Limited built in fonts.

I have the DXG (B009) which is simply a less grey screen. Otherwise similar to a DX. I'd avoid a DX or DXG. They are also heavy.

A kindle KK3 is better for eBooks (B008) and supports KF8/AZW3 and publisher fonts. Much better selection of built in fonts. The GUI is nearly identical to the DX/DXG.
Quote:
Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B008 download this file.
Your serial number starts with B006 download this file.
Your serial number starts with B00A download this file.

Note: If your device is on a version older than 3.4.2, please visit Previous software versions for Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation) for instructions.
See https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

The first Kindle Touch is much later Firmware.
Quote:
Kindle Touch (4th Generation)

Download Software Update

Note: If your device is on an older version than 5.3.2, 5.3.2.1, 5.3.7, 5.3.7.1 or 5.3.7.2, please Previous software versions for Kindle Touch (4th Generation) for instructions.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Thank you. At this point I just want an e-ink device that can do TXT and PDF files, so I can do my professional work without turning into a non-functional zombie, as is currently the case. I'll have to give up all the .azw3 books I have on my Kindle 7, I guess. My priority is simply getting a device that is going to have an older firmware on it. It's really somewhat of a situation of desperation at the moment.

Did the Kindle DX receive automatic updates via 3G connection? If so, until what year?

What is the latest firmware version for the DX, and from what year?

Thank you in advance!

Update: I found that the latest firmware version for the DX is 2.5.8, and confirmed that this is indeed the firmware version of the DX that I have found online. Does anyone know what year this version is from? I am suspecting that it is relatively recent...

Last edited by DanielSt; 02-23-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Yes they did. The Kindle DX hasn't had updates beyond changing the security certificates in years (2016 I think, maybe they did it again later). They didn't even change the version number. Even then it was several years out of date. 2.5 was released back in 2010, 2.5.8 was already out in 2012 according to some old blog post comments.

Have you tried another brand?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:37 PM   #5
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Yes they did. The Kindle DX hasn't had updates beyond changing the security certificates in years (2016 I think, maybe they did it again later). They didn't even change the version number. Even then it was several years out of date. 2.5 was released back in 2010, 2.5.8 was already out in 2012 according to some old blog post comments.

Have you tried another brand?
Thanks very much for your answer, this is very helpful to me. If 2.5.8 was already out in 2012, this would be truly excellent news. The only changes from 2016 were the security certificates, and nothing else (especially relating to the display)? Just want to be certain of this, since then I will likely order the DX.
Advert
Old 02-24-2022, 06:40 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have a DXG. It's a ghastly ereader. The DX is simply grayer. A Kobo Libra2 or Nia would be better, or Forma, Sage or Elipsa for larger PDFs. Calibre will convert your AZW3 ebooks to either DX mobi format (very limited) or epub for Kobo (lose nothing), if you have the DeDrm plugin, put your old Kindle serial number (copy paste from My Devices & Content) and download all ebooks from My Devices & Content to PC "for USB transfer".

The DX will likely need a new battery, which I've done on my DXG.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #7
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a DXG. It's a ghastly ereader. The DX is simply grayer. A Kobo Libra2 or Nia would be better, or Forma, Sage or Elipsa for larger PDFs. Calibre will convert your AZW3 ebooks to either DX mobi format (very limited) or epub for Kobo (lose nothing), if you have the DeDrm plugin, put your old Kindle serial number (copy paste from My Devices & Content) and download all ebooks from My Devices & Content to PC "for USB transfer".

The DX will likely need a new battery, which I've done on my DXG.
Thank you, this is all quite helpful to know. I wonder if I would do well with one of the Kobos, I might see if I can test one of these out in a store that stocks them. Thanks again.