Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
markaskey
markaskey began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader or kindle
Red face Why have I waited this long!

Hello!

Recently my mother in law came to visit and presented my with her "old" Sony 505 ebook. She bought a Kindle for the portability and didn't need the Sony anymore. This was a complete surprise but a timely one as I was just starting to look hard at investing in a Kindle also, but getting a Sony for Free was just too hard to pass up.

I am a voracious reader of books and was concerned if my geeky gadget part of me was just wanting a new electronic toy and I would be disappointed in reading books electronically and just have another paperweight sitting next to the old pda's. After 7 days (and 2 and a half books already read) all I can say is...WOW.

Let me give you some perspective of how excited I am about the Sony Reader. I have over 2000 books in boxes that I collected over the past 30 years waiting for me to create the home library I have always dreamed of in my home. After a week with Sony Reader, I am honestly wondering if I should sell most of the books. Not all but definitely all the Scifi and Fantasy paperbacks.

This thing is small and lightweight, especially compared to her kindle. I will repeat what a lot of people have said before:
    • Crystal Clear Screen
    • Small and Easy to read no matter where you are at
    • You forget it is not a book. I have reached to turn a page often.
    • Metallic body and construction feels great in the hand

After playing with the Sony and Kindle for a few days, I am really glad I have the Sony. The Kindle was much larger than I thought. Both are nice units and the only thing I think I am really missing today is Amazons wonderful review and book community as a tool to help me find new ebooks. (Amazon..remember what you are good at and let me download books!) I really think that if Sony could match that in some way, the Sony Reader would give the Kindle a good run for its money.

This forum and the users have been a godsend in my first few days of using the Sony. I have already bookmarked all the great book websites and downloaded Calibre. (download Magazines if you have not already! I am playing with the Google Reader recipe and may ditch my Blackberry for the Sony as my daily RSS reader if it works.

I just wanted to get out of lurker mode and express my happiness with my new toy and thank all of you for unknowingly helping me out this week.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Mark

Ps. My google reader account has filled up over the last week because I am on the computer less and I am reading books again like I used to before RSS feeds. I am so happy.
markaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaskey View Post
Hello!

Recently my mother in law came to visit and presented my with her "old" Sony 505 ebook. She bought a Kindle for the portability and didn't need the Sony anymore. This was a complete surprise but a timely one as I was just starting to look hard at investing in a Kindle also, but getting a Sony for Free was just too hard to pass up.

I am a voracious reader of books and was concerned if my geeky gadget part of me was just wanting a new electronic toy and I would be disappointed in reading books electronically and just have another paperweight sitting next to the old pda's. After 7 days (and 2 and a half books already read) all I can say is...WOW.

Let me give you some perspective of how excited I am about the Sony Reader. I have over 2000 books in boxes that I collected over the past 30 years waiting for me to create the home library I have always dreamed of in my home. After a week with Sony Reader, I am honestly wondering if I should sell most of the books. Not all but definitely all the Scifi and Fantasy paperbacks.

This thing is small and lightweight, especially compared to her kindle. I will repeat what a lot of people have said before:
    • Crystal Clear Screen
    • Small and Easy to read no matter where you are at
    • You forget it is not a book. I have reached to turn a page often.
    • Metallic body and construction feels great in the hand

After playing with the Sony and Kindle for a few days, I am really glad I have the Sony. The Kindle was much larger than I thought. Both are nice units and the only thing I think I am really missing today is Amazons wonderful review and book community as a tool to help me find new ebooks. (Amazon..remember what you are good at and let me download books!) I really think that if Sony could match that in some way, the Sony Reader would give the Kindle a good run for its money.

This forum and the users have been a godsend in my first few days of using the Sony. I have already bookmarked all the great book websites and downloaded Calibre. (download Magazines if you have not already! I am playing with the Google Reader recipe and may ditch my Blackberry for the Sony as my daily RSS reader if it works.

I just wanted to get out of lurker mode and express my happiness with my new toy and thank all of you for unknowingly helping me out this week.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Mark

Ps. My google reader account has filled up over the last week because I am on the computer less and I am reading books again like I used to before RSS feeds. I am so happy.
Isn't it great when you first discover ebooks. It's like a *new* religion and you feel like converting the world.
I have a Kindle and love it, and have also weeded out my surplus books.
Have a browse through MR and find some free books, and b the way "Welcome".
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to mobileread, markaskey!

I'm sure everone here, understands your feelings. We were all there once......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Isn't it awesome? It's like an infection, but the good kind.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi markaskey and welcome to the Forum. Like you, I had a ton of books laying around the place and now have close to a hundred books on my 505. And I love the damn thing!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The trouble with MobileRead, however, is that it becomes more addictive than books. i stopped in here last year some time and haven't even been home, yet.

Welcome to the madness, and your new-found joy!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Markaskey - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that tries to actually turn a page. I've done that more than once or twice already. Or rather, I've TRIED to do that, before remembering that I had to push a button instead!

I received the 505 as a Christmas gift, and I've used it extensively since then. I read 8 books in January, 7 of which I read on the reader. I don't believe I've ever read 8 books in one month before, at least not since I was in college. It certainly is easy on the eyes.

Hopefully you'll continue to enjoy your "new" reader for a long time to come.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Markaskey - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that tries to actually turn a page. I've done that more than once or twice already. Or rather, I've TRIED to do that, before remembering that I had to push a button instead!

I received the 505 as a Christmas gift, and I've used it extensively since then. I read 8 books in January, 7 of which I read on the reader. I don't believe I've ever read 8 books in one month before, at least not since I was in college. It certainly is easy on the eyes.

Hopefully you'll continue to enjoy your "new" reader for a long time to come.

SteveK
Heh, I read 17 last month and I'm on my 16th for this month. And I have a full-time job.

I just....can't....stop!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote