Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
addressee
addressee began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4g
Question Windows GUI broken?

Unexpected results with the GUI after restarting Calibre this afternoon, just after upgrading to 0.8.48 from 0.8.46. Checking here before for some problem determination submitting as a bug. Calibre is the only application displaying this behaviour. (Win7 64-bit)

Installed 0.8.48 and restarted, OK. On the second restart noticed GUI wackiness detailed below. This was within ~10 minutes of the upgrade to 0.8.48 and no other programs were un/installed in this period. Uninstalling .48 and reinstalling .46 did not correct the problem, so this may not be specific to 0.8.48, although perhaps .48 changed something that is now persistent through some Calibre setup?

Basic problems are with the widths of Calibre components...
(1) The tag browser now takes up the left 2/3 of my screen and the 'resize Tag Browser' grabber does not allow resizing -- double-clicking it closes the Tag Browser completely or opens it to the 2/3-screen width. These tools to resize the Book Details and Cover Browser seem unaffected. This is when the Calibre window is 'maximized'.

...and with the Calibre window itself:
(2) When the Calibre window is 'restored' it essentially grows to double the width of my screen. The window can be manually resized in height, but the width cannot be adjusted at all. The Tag Browser now takes up fully the left half of the window plus, scrolling right, another 2/3 of the second half of the width of the application window.

So... is there a bug in Calibre? Has something caused Calibre's window and component windows to become corrupted? If so, any idea on how to correct this with minimal damage to my installation?

thx.

Last edited by addressee; 04-20-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: image adjustment
addressee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
8.48 behaves on XP
note there is separate tag browser sizes stored for Full screen and reduced screen.

Did you reboot your PC?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look for a very long entry in the Tag Borwser and rename it by right clicking on it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
addressee

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
8.48 behaves on XP
note there is separate tag browser sizes stored for Full screen and reduced screen.

Did you reboot your PC?
I wouldn't have expected a reboot to be required without the usual installer instruction ... but rebooting does not change anything. Wherever those browser size data are stored, I'm sure they are unavailable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look for a very long entry in the Tag Borwser and rename it by right clicking on it.
I have never known tag entry size to affect the resizing of of the Tag Browser pane. Perhaps it does this for the initial sizing if the browser pane has been closed, but resizing has always been ad hoc in my experience, and pane size and status has been static from launch to launch of Calibre, and static as one toggles the pane open/closed.

Certainly, in the past, some book additions have stealthily added lengthy tags to the tag library without affecting control of the Tag Browser itself. Also, this does nothing to explain the 2nd issue of the 'restored' Calibre application window sizing, where the Tag Browser pane becomes 1+2/3 screens wide.

Anyways, here goes, reviewing ~9,000 tags ...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
addressee

Quote:
Originally Posted by addressee View Post
Anyways, here goes, reviewing ~9,000 tags ...
I can confirm that no tag appears to be causing this window/pane behaviour. Unless some tag is filled with spaces to some unknown length, I can only observe that visually, the longest title is in the range of: "Hallucinogenic Drugs - Research - Massachusetts - Cambridge - History - 20th Century" - not nearly the width of the Tag Browser pane. (screen capture attached)

Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well that's the only thing I can think of to explain your issues. Certainly, item size should not be affecting the tag browser's minimum width (and it does not affect it for me). But its worth checking. And note that it does not have to be a tag it can be an entry in one fo the other categories.

AN easy way to check that is to simply create a new empty library and switch to it, it will not have any tags (or other entries).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
addressee

I had checked all of the categories and found only the one example ofa 'larger' tag. Creating and using an empty library gave no different result.

To correct this I had to remove Calibre entirely, CrapClean, reboot, and reinstall Calibre (0.8.48). Even thenthe initial Tag Browser position on first launch was as previously described, but I was now able to grab the resizer and make an adjustment. Added all my libraries back and now things seem 'normal'.

Tags
gui, win7, windows