Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Accented characters

Hi all,

I know this has been answered before, but my search-fu is weak and I couldn't find the answer.

I had an ebook that had accented characters in it. When importing into BookDesigner, these were replaced by various Cyrillic characters. I manually replaced them, but when I exported to LRF and looked at the book, they were replaced by character codes.

So, question 1 - How do I get BookDesigner to leave accented characters alone?

And question 2 - How do I get the Reader to correctly interpret accented characters in BookDesigner LRFs? Does the default font not include them? (that seems bizarre...)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to set the language in the options for German before you load your source file. If you already have the HTML0, then you need to change the laguage to German and resave it.

Also go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649 and download the Book Cleaner files to fix some gotchas in BD such as emdashes. For emdashes to work, when you make the LRF, set dashes to as-is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need to set the language in the options for German before you load your source file. If you already have the HTML0, then you need to change the laguage to German and resave it.
Thanks!

That will fix both the initial display issues and the LRF issues? And... Why German, just out of curiosity? The accents I'm having trouble with I usually associate with French... (é and ê, for example)
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because German also uses accented characters and using French as the language causes odd things to happen. German works fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
bingle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because German also uses accented characters and using French as the language causes odd things to happen. German works fine.
Thanks, I'll try German!
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I used French for a while, then gave up and switched to German. I found it to do weird stuff with French too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you try to open that file that was set in something other than German, and if for some reason it keeps reverting back to your previous langauge, then this is a trick that worked for me:

Open the file you would normally open. Open a Blank BookDesigner file and change THAT file to German. Now, go back to your original file [that is still open] and copy and then paste into the file that you designated as German.

This is just a suggestion, since it worked for me. I no longer use French; rather, I use German for everything now.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I did recently to fix an accent problem was switch to German (wasn't my HTML0 originally) and then changed the book encoding to Western European (Windows) and put in the accented character that was incorrect and it worked fine.