Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
MULTIZ321
MULTIZ321 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK COLOR
DICTIONARY PLUS NOOK COLOR

Is there a way to access the resident dictionary in the Nook Color without opening a book that is already loaded in the Nook?

For instance, sometimes I just want to be able to look up a word meaning and would like to do so in my Nook Color. However, I haven't discovered how to do so short of opening up the internet to do so.

Thanks

Richard
MULTIZ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
dgiznya
Ty
dgiznya began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Not on the stock NC.
If it is rooted you can download several dictionaries for it.

DG
dgiznya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you click on Search from the navigation bar, then you can enter a word and it gives you options to search the Shop, Web or Wikipedia. Sadly no dictionary... I think that B&N should add the dictionary to their search function (which would be similar to the Kindle search options).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
MULTIZ321
MULTIZ321 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK COLOR
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I agree - it would be nice if a Dictionary were a choice in the search function.

I wonder if someone from B&N reads these threads?

Richard
MULTIZ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIZ321 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I agree - it would be nice if a Dictionary were a choice in the search function.

I wonder if someone from B&N reads these threads?

Richard
I know that there are some B&N employees who post on MobileRead, and they offer good advice. I wouldn't be surprised if their technical team periodically reads forums. The B&N website has their own forum called "Bookclubs". They have employees who post on that board so it might be a good place to leave feedback. Since it's their own board, they actively monitor it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
nookleus
Small and Dense
nookleus has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Color
A clunky workaround would be the following:

1) Create an ePub book containing a list of dictionary words
2) Sideload the book to the Nook
3) Open the book and search for the desired word
4) Highlight the word and select Lookup.

Any way to get a list of all the words in the resident dictionary?
nookleus is offline   Reply With Quote