Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
richinri
richinri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Sigil for large books?

I have a project that is requiring the formatting of a large book (bible size) and before I start, does anyone know if Sigil can handle it or am I heading for a problem?

Richard
richinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Welcome to MobileRead, richinri.

Sigil can handle it. I regularly use it to work on epubs with several thousand “pages”. But in case you prefer to have each chapter in a separate html file, you should split them late in the process, because Sigil tends to open epubs with too many html files very slowly.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
richinri
richinri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the reply and tip!
richinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, richinri.

Sigil can handle it. I regularly use it to work on epubs with several thousand “pages”. But in case you prefer to have each chapter in a separate html file, you should split them late in the process, because Sigil tends to open epubs with too many html files very slowly.
There is definitely a trade off here. I've noticed sigil is much slower when switching between tabs if the tab you are moving to is a large HTML. So choose your poison - slower to open initially with lots of tabs, but faster to work in...or faster to open initially, but slower to work in.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There is definitely a trade off here. I've noticed sigil is much slower when switching between tabs if the tab you are moving to is a large HTML. So choose your poison - slower to open initially with lots of tabs, but faster to work in...or faster to open initially, but slower to work in.
I never had this problem, but I mostly work in code view. Might be worse in book view.

EDIT:
Let me be more precise: I do have this problem if html files are about 2mb in size, but it works fine with 260kb files (= the maximum size that Sony readers accept).

Last edited by pynch; 05-15-2013 at 09:42 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Sigil will open very large files but it takes a very long time and can appear to have crashed. Just be patient (I had to learn this the hard way).
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big books, large files