Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #2566
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
which files do I need to modify to add an adapter to my copy of FFDL? I only want to get 1 story from a small archive (based on efiction).
The project source code is kept here, but a calibre plugin is just a zip of all the python code anyway.

To add a new adapter, you need to add a new file:

fanficdownloader/adapters/adapter_<sitename>.py

...and edit: fanficdownloader/adapters/__init__.py to import your new file.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #2567
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
The project source code is kept here, but a calibre plugin is just a zip of all the python code anyway.

To add a new adapter, you need to add a new file:

fanficdownloader/adapters/adapter_<sitename>.py

...and edit: fanficdownloader/adapters/__init__.py to import your new file.
Thanks
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #2568
Linwe
Enthusiast
Linwe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Kindle 4
Error 10013

Just updated to the newest FFDL version and now I can't update/add stories at all. I've tried the "add new URL" and updating directly from story in calibre and I get the same error message each time.

Error message:
<urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>

Different fandoms, different sites; I've tried fanfiction.net (several different fandoms and stories within the fandoms), wolverineandrogue.com, fanfiction.portkey.org, and mediaminer.org.

Thoughts? Help?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #2569
susanpr
susanpr began at the beginning.

Device: generic android 4.0
Quote:
Can you provide a story URL or two that have covers that aren't downloading for you?
I tried these 2 this morning

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10276854/1/
http://www.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/...y.php?sid=9224

Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #2570
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Got the story. Thanks again for the info.
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #2571
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post

Got the story. Thanks again for the info.
FYI, we accept code, especially adapters, from others if you want to contribute it and have it added to FFDL.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #2572
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
Error message:
<urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>
That sounds like a firewall permission issue on your computer, not anything to do directly with FFDL. Have you changed firewall settings or networks?

I'd try restarting calibre again, maybe rebooting. Also see if calibre's Get Metadata or other other network features work.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #2573
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanpr View Post
All of a sudden my new downloads do not have cover pictures any more. I have the settings include_images:true and make_firstimage_cover:true set in my personal.ini and up until recently it used to work, but no longer. I can't figure out why. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
Quote:
Hmmm. I was able to download those with covers just fine. Minimal personal.ini to include covers is:

Code:
[epub]
include_images:true
keep_summary_html:true
make_firstimage_cover:true 

[www.fanfiction.net]
never_make_cover: false
The first part is equivalent to using the 'Include Images' check box on the FFDL Basic config tab. The last part is to include covers from ffnet. They default to off because so many are just author images.

The rules about updating covers on existing books are a little different. Does it work if you download those as new books again?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #2574
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

Quote:
FYI, we accept code, especially adapters, from others if you want to contribute it and have it added to FFDL.
Better not. It's a small, specialized site for the stories of 4 specific authors and the last update was on 18th of June 2012. Most of their stories are on AO3.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #2575
Linwe
Enthusiast

So it looks to be a calibre issue, I guess. Absolutely nothing else has been changed in any of my settings except for calibre updates. I try not to touch my network settings because I'm more likely to cause problems than fix any... and my tech-savvy troubleshooter is several states away now.

Off to re-installation it seems...

Quote:
That sounds like a firewall permission issue on your computer, not anything to do directly with FFDL. Have you changed firewall settings or networks?

I'd try restarting calibre again, maybe rebooting. Also see if calibre's Get Metadata or other other network features work.
Edit: Nope, I take it back. Calibre still functions like normal. Download metadata, download covers, etc still working for new books added. Just FFDL that doesn't seem to like me. *sigh*

Last edited by Linwe; 04-22-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #2576
susanpr

Quote:
Hmmm. I was able to download those with covers just fine. Minimal personal.ini to include covers is:

Code:
[epub]
include_images:true
keep_summary_html:true
make_firstimage_cover:true 

[www.fanfiction.net]
never_make_cover: false
The first part is equivalent to using the 'Include Images' check box on the FFDL Basic config tab. The last part is to include covers from ffnet. They default to off because so many are just author images.

The rules about updating covers on existing books are a little different. Does it work if you download those as new books again?
NO, it doesn't work either way. I think the problem is something to do with the interaction between FFDL and the Generate Covers. When I open the newly created epub, it shows the image as the first page, before the Title page, but the cover keeps coming up as a blank book cover. If I press generate cover, then it gives me the Calibre default cover, and the image disappears
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #2577
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
So it looks to be a calibre issue, I guess. Absolutely nothing else has been changed in any of my settings except for calibre updates. I try not to touch my network settings because I'm more likely to cause problems than fix any... and my tech-savvy troubleshooter is several states away now.

Off to re-installation it seems...

Edit: Nope, I take it back. Calibre still functions like normal. Download metadata, download covers, etc still working for new books added. Just FFDL that doesn't seem to like me. *sigh*
I can't think of any reason why FFDL going out to a web site would be tried any differently than any other part of calibre doing so.

I'd say to try reinstalling the plugin and maybe even calibre, but it sounds like you may have already.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #2578
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
NO, it doesn't work either way. I think the problem is something to do with the interaction between FFDL and the Generate Covers. When I open the newly created epub, it shows the image as the first page, before the Title page, but the cover keeps coming up as a blank book cover. If I press generate cover, then it gives me the Calibre default cover, and the image disappears
In that case, check to make sure you have the 'Update Calibre cover when Updating Metadata' option checked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	155
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	121984  
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #2579
Linwe
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd say to try reinstalling the plugin and maybe even calibre, but it sounds like you may have already.
Three times now, and my day gets sadder as now I can't even call up the plugins adapter through calibre but metadata still goes through. I am seriously at a loss to what is up with my software.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #2580
susanpr

Quote:
In that case, check to make sure you have the 'Update Calibre cover when Updating Metadata' option checked.
I do, I'm totally at a loss as to what to try. Maybe delete the genetate cover plugin and reinstall?
Closed Thread