Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #1
Nukjoc
Nukjoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Viewer window suddenly won't remember size and position

Hello, I'm running Calibre on a Suface Go 2, Windows 11 (current version 22H2). i've been using Calibre 6.10 with no problems until yesterday when the Viewer suddenly stopped remembering viewer window size and position. The Viewer > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Remember last used window size and position checkbox is checked, but the viewer window only opens to maximum size. If I manually resize the viewer window for a book, next time I open the book it will again be maximum size, filling my whole screen (but not in full screen mode). I upgraded to Calibre 6.11 but it made no difference. i've rebooted, cold booted, and unchecked and rechecked the 'Remember last used...' checkbox. I also experimented with viewer page layout settings but that didn't affect window size, just text display, as it should. The viewer is opening at maximum size for all books I've tried, all formats, all libraries, and for books not yet in a library, no matter how I open or close the viewer. It's slowing down my efforts to check and document book formatting issues. Any suggestions for how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!
Nukjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's likely something in windows that is doing it. I dont use windows so dont have many suggestions for what it might be, but google things like window always maximized.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:44 AM   #3
Nukjoc

Thank you Kovid. i suspected it might be a result of the recent Windows 11 22H2 update and checked Windows device manager. I discovered that the Intel UHD Graphics 615 display adapter says the device PCI needs further installation, per a system event corresponding with the 22H2 update. I have installed the current Intel UHD Graphics 615 driver using the clean install option, and also installed a recent Surface Go 2 drivers update package. After that an Intel display update became available in Windows Update and I installed that.

Now I still have the display adapter device PCI needs further installation message in Windows device manager. And the Calibre Viewer is still opening epubs at full screen size - but now at least I don't have to resize the viewer window manually each time I open a book. I had to manually resize and reposition the viewer window the first time I started Calibre after the above mentioned updates. Since then, the viewer still opens each book to full screen size, but will resize and reposition to my previously chosen size and position when I tap the square icon at the top right of the viewer window.

I'll continue to investigate and will update this thread if I learn more. If any Windows users have insights, advice would sure be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:35 PM   #4
Nukjoc

Unhappy Update: No progress...

Well, I've tried everything I can think of. Then I called a couple of friends who are corporate IT and Microsoft experts, and tried everything they could think of. Nothing helped. They've never heard about this problem before. i may be stuck with this unless a future Windows update fixes it.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
pdofak
randomly making better
pdofak began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin - Nook
I suddenly have the opposite problem.
On a current Mac,
The main window forgets it's size and position. Upon launching the application the main window is too small and needs resizing to be used.
I'm baffled as to why. it worked fine yesterday.
pdofak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:56 AM   #6
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
I have the same issue as "pdofak". 2017 iMac running OS Ventura.
Any solution welcome?
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:07 AM   #7
.tycho
.tycho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen.)
Same issue as the above two posters. Running v7.2.0 on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1. Any thoughts?
.tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:15 PM   #8
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdofak View Post
I suddenly have the opposite problem.
On a current Mac,
The main window forgets it's size and position. Upon launching the application the main window is too small and needs resizing to be used.
I'm baffled as to why. it worked fine yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
I have the same issue as "pdofak". 2017 iMac running OS Ventura.
Any solution welcome?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
Same issue as the above two posters. Running v7.2.0 on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1. Any thoughts?
This thread indicates that the new Qt has a bunch of MacOS display issues that might be fixed in Qt 6.6.2. I'm not sure how long it takes for new Qt installs to be incorporated into Calibre. I'm still hanging on to Calbre 6.29 until I hear further.

Last edited by fogice; 01-03-2024 at 10:22 AM.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:42 PM   #9
.tycho

Hi @fogice! Thanks for looking into this. My problem is with the main Calibre window. I tried whacking
Code:
com.calibre-ebook.ebook-viewer.plist
like they mentioned, but that didn't fix it. Hopefully integrating the newest Qt into Calibre soon will fix it...

Last edited by .tycho; 01-02-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:49 PM   #10
.tycho

As a follow-up, I reverted to 6.29, and that fixed it for now. Hopefully this Qt bug gets fixed in v7 at some point.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:09 AM   #11
.tycho

Well, I was about to report the macOS window size bug to Calibre's bug tracker, but decided on a whim to check the website's latest version history.

Low and behold, v7.3 released 1/5/24 states "macOS: Fix main calibre window not remembering its size on restart." I haven't had a chance yet to install it, but hopefully this fixes it!
Old 01-07-2024, 04:36 PM   #12
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Calibre 7.3

Just installed Calibre 7.3 and the update fixes the iOS screen size issue.
Thanks, great to be back to normal.......
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:59 PM   #13
.tycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
Just installed Calibre 7.3 and the update fixes the iOS screen size issue.
Thanks, great to be back to normal.......
Yup, v7.3 is working great on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1

Tags
calibre, position, size, viewer