Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
grnlady2
grnlady2 began at the beginning.

Device: HP IPAQ 211
HP iPAQ 211: saving files to SD/CF cards

I have a HP 211 that I use for ebook reading. With Calibre I can't seem to save to the units SD/CF cards although I can see them from the explorer tree (but not from the file browser that pops up when I select "save to disk" feature in Calibre. It is as though Calibre doesn't see the unit. I have several ofther non Microsoft programs and they all recognize and see the unit via their explore like browsing.

What can be done to recognize the 211 SD/CF cards?

(Ipaq211, WM 6, Calibre 0.7.16, Win Xp)

Thanks
grnlady2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
grnlady2

Saving to Disk

new to post, this was a mistake. Posted in wrong area. Sorry

Last edited by grnlady2; 08-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlady2 View Post
What can be done to recognize the 211 SD/CF cards?
Try using Connect To Folder, then navigating to the folder on the SD card where you want to put the books.

However, this will not work if the device uses activesync to connect instead of using a normal USB drive. Neither will any calibre file dialog.

Last edited by chaley; 08-31-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: added missing 'not'
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
grnlady2

I am using ActiveSync 4.5. When I try navigating using connect to folder, I can not navigate to the SD/CF card because it is just not shown. I appears in the explorer tree and my PowerDesk explorer tree but not on the explorer tree that pops up when using Calibre.

(sigh)
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your device uses activesync, then you have three possibilities.

1) get a card reader so that the card is seen as a USB drive. This would probably be a pain to use, because you would need to take the card in and out of the phone.
2) Create an e-books folder in your device's activesync hierarchy. Use calibre's connect to folder to manage the ebooks in that folder. Then use activesync to send the books to the sd card (if you can -- some phones can't sync to card).
3) Create an e-books folder somewhere that isn't in your device's activesync hierarchy. As above, use connect to folder to manage it. Then use activesync's explorer interface to drag the e-books folder to your sd card, overwriting what is there.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You also have the options to
1) use a web browser on the IPAQ and pick up books from the Calibre content server, or
2) to use the reverse of some of the options above where you browse from the IPAQ using Resco File Explorer or the like to transfer files off the main computer.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
grnlady2

Quote:
Try using Connect To Folder, then navigating to the folder on the SD card where you want to put the books.

However, this will work if the device uses activesync to connect instead of using a normal USB drive. Neither will any calibre file dialog.
Thank you. Tried this and the SD card is not showing....using ActiveSync 4.5 and this won't work because the Calibre connect explorer tree doesn't show the device at all.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
grnlady2

Quote:

1) get a card reader so that the card is seen as a USB drive. This would probably be a pain to use, because you would need to take the card in and out of the phone.
2) Create an e-books folder in your device's activesync hierarchy. Use calibre's connect to folder to manage the ebooks in that folder. Then use activesync to send the books to the sd card (if you can -- some phones can't sync to card).
3) Create an e-books folder somewhere that isn't in your device's activesync hierarchy. As above, use connect to folder to manage it. Then use activesync's explorer interface to drag the e-books folder to your sd card, overwriting what is there.
This will take a little time. I'll let you know if any of these work and cut down on steps needed. I have a feeling number one might solve my problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlady2 View Post
Quote:

However, this will work if the device uses activesync to connect instead of using a normal USB drive. Neither will any calibre file dialog.
Thank you. Tried this and the SD card is not showing....using ActiveSync 4.5 and this won't work because the Calibre connect explorer tree doesn't show the device at all.

I'm relatively sure he meant it will not work, going straight to the sd card.

I'm glad to see that Chaley and Starson17 were able to give you so many options on how to get your books to your sd card.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm relatively sure he meant it will not work, going straight to the sd card.
Yes, I did. It must be that the evil binarygoblins ate the "not" as the bits raced from my house to mobileread, as there is no possibility that *I* could make such a mistake.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes, I did. It must be that the evil binarygoblins ate the "not" as the bits raced from my house to mobileread, as there is no possibility that *I* could make such a mistake.
I bet it's time to empty the bit bucket again. I seem to have to empty it more frequently as I get older, damn those binary goblins!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote