Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Arizonan restrictive law backfires

Here we have a small comment on the effects of the Arizonan restrictions for illegal immigrants in relationship to work. I must say I'm quite surprised by the numbers stated in the news (11% of Arizonan workers were illegal immigrants before the bill).
Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Can of worms just opened. I think I'll save my politicking for the real world on this one.

(For the record, I don't believe in borders or countries and nobody, in my eyes, can ever be illegal just by standing on one piece of ground or another.)
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
How is it racist to want a legal process for immigration?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
You might wanna ask xxmkerror on youtube, who uploaded the video and named it, that.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
I give in...how is it?

Last edited by TGS; 06-22-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I might.

I'm not trying to start shit with people....by the way.

I just really want to know what is wrong with wanting a legal process for immigration.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I just really want to know what is wrong with wanting a legal process for immigration.
There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is the immigration process has completely changed from the days of Ellis Island (and Angel Island). Back then, poor people who were constantly shat upon by Europe (and Asia), were allowed to come here legally in the hopes of a better future for them and their children.

However, we don't allow poor people in anymore. So if you live in a dirt farm in Guatemala, and wish you could learn to read and write and make a better life for you an yours... you're pretty much SOL.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Last edited by clarknova; 06-22-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
happy_terd
Banned

We do need to fix immigration laws. I just dont think that a "free-for-all" no accountability approach is the correct way to go about it.

The rest of the world cannot expect the US to be the only country without boarders.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
We do need to fix immigration laws. I just dont think that a "free-for-all" no accountability approach is the correct way to go about it.

The rest of the world cannot expect the US to be the only country without boarders.
Does the rest of the world expect that?

You're fighting windmills.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It has lots of boarders; that's the whole issue, isn't it?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has lots of boarders; that's the whole issue, isn't it?
yeah, too many boarders un-interested in the duties and responsibilities of citizenship.

when I lived in Germany there was a HUGE guest worker (gast arbiter) program. mostly people from Turkey, Greece, and a variety of African countries. worked pretty well for them. it would appear to take care of a lot of problems... documenting status, paying taxes, tracking of residence and so on
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yep, amazing what happens when you don't try and impose restrictive limits on numbers.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is the immigration process has completely changed from the days of Ellis Island (and Angel Island). Back then, poor people who were constantly shat upon by Europe (and Asia), were allowed to come here legally in the hopes of a better future for them and their children.

However, we don't allow poor people in anymore. So if you live in a dirt farm in Guatemala, and wish you could learn to read and write and make a better life for you an yours... you're pretty much SOL.
The borders haven't quite been as open and welcoming as you paint them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._United_States

But that aside, just because something was done a certain way in the past is not an argument that it should always be done that way. The United States has over 300,000,000 people at this moment-- and if the borders were fully open, that number would explode even more-- and it wouldn't be lifting those people up, it would be dragging the rest of the country down, depressing wages and increasing welfare. The deep, deep trouble this country is in is NOT going to be helped by allowing in millions more poor, undereducated people. IMHO, there is no shame is saying "we're sorry conditions are bad in your country, but we're full now."

A man is standing in an elevator car with 30 people in it-- the floor is sagging, the cable is creeking, but 50 more people are trying to squeeze their way in the car. "Why not," he asks "we've always let people in before."
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
[Censoring myself.]

Last edited by clarknova; 06-22-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Arguing politics on the internet is like arguing politics IRL -- pointless and stupid.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Okay here's what's racist about it:
A stop is made because a tail light is out. Because the driver has an accent, or is brown, or dresses differently then he is asked for a passport or other documentation in addition to the driver's license to demonstrate that he is here legally. If it isn't produced then he could be detained. This person could be a naturalized citizen but now has to carry identification that other Americans do not. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger said his accent would get him detained in Arizona.
Closed Thread