Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #31
odette87
odette
odette87 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DS800SG
Yes, perfect analogy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
I understand you feeling... I am sticking with mine although I must say it is very clunky in the software implementation.
The lack of accessories is really frustrating; it's a rare thing these days when you want something, are prepared to pay for it but can not find it!

This must be what they felt like in Eastern Europe back in the 80s when they were forever waiting for products to buy to become available!!

Yes, that is the right comparison. In the 1980s I kept coming across programmers from Eastern Europe who were developing mission critical software with connectivity to utterly unknown, and largely unsupported, RDBS programs...because that's all that was available. (We won't get into the backlog for jeans!).

Yes, the Irex people have solved the glare problem with touch devices, using the stylus, which I happen like very much. But the Notes app is not useable, and there doesn't appear to be a way to even highlight passages. I can't read technical books without that capability.

Meanwhile, software implementation, as you imply, is more than frustrating. Without the patience of Job, don't try to use the onscreen keyboard. Don't search for anything in an ePub book. (Adobe PDF's, DRM'd or not, are a little better, strangely, since they are much bigger, byte-wise.) Navigating B&Ns bookstore--still the only one available-- is clumsy to the point of silliness. These are smart people, who, I believe, have not an understanding of UX.

All in all, I can wait a little for yet another update, but with these additional issues piling up, well, I might see what eBay will bring for it.

Or maybe someone won't mind the issues and will trade for something else.

Very sad, the device has so much potential, and looks so much better than, say, the Kindle.
odette87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #32
SciFiBill
SciFiBill began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Irex DR800SG
Pics added for illustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiBill View Post
There are different models/formats of the jackets for the DR800. I bought the M-Edge cover for my DR800SG from Amazon.com, and I have no issues at all with having access to either the power switch or power connector. I have the "M-Edge Latitude Jacket for IREX DR800, Black", and it holds the device securely, comfortably and has access to everything. It does have the extra space for the light, but I did not need that, and the only complaint I have is that the pen for the Wacom is stored on the outside of the jacket. It even has a front zippered pocket you can store the USB cable in. I cut and fitted a piece of hard plastic, and placed it in the front pocket to add extra protection for the screen. I'm very happy with it.
Here are a couple of quick pics showing the cover, and the ease of access to the power and USB connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0338.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	53217   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0339.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	53218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0344.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	53219   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0341.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	53220   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0342.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	53221  
SciFiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #33
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Here are a couple of quick pics showing the cover, and the ease of access to the power and USB connection.
Hard to tell from the pics, but is that a soft cover or is there a hard shell inside the front?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #34
SciFiBill
SciFiBill began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Irex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Hard to tell from the pics, but is that a soft cover or is there a hard shell inside the front?
Soft, with good padding. For added protection, I took and cut down a piece of 1/8" plexiglass and placed it in the front cover zippered pocket; that gave it (I believe), with the soft inner padding, adequate protections for a hard knock against the screen.
SciFiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Soft, with good padding. For added protection, I took and cut down a piece of 1/8" plexiglass and placed it in the front cover zippered pocket; that gave it (I believe), with the soft inner padding, adequate protections for a hard knock against the screen.
Yeah, adding the plexiglass was a good idea. Hopefully everyone who uses that cover has the same idea, otherwise there could be a lot of broken screens.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #36
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Time for another order from the US I believe.
The design of the cover looks very practical.

Loved your clever idea of putting hard plastic to cover the screen. I am just so clumsy and careless and its only through excessive safety measures I can manage to keep my stuff safe and sound.

What I really wanted was something very pretty or something very stylish but that was is at least very practical.

Haven't proceeded with the order from the Chinese guy who makes bespoke leather covers.. Emailed him but he did not get back.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
manacap
manacap began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Time for another order from the US I believe.
The design of the cover looks very practical.

Haven't proceeded with the order from the Chinese guy who makes bespoke leather covers.. Emailed him but he did not get back.
I got an e-mail from him. They only have black leather, no additional colors. Sounds like there is a big push on iPad covers, he expects about 200 IREX covers soon.
manacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #38
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
They only have black leather, no additional colors.
So how can we purchase these? On his website irex covers are marked as "out of stock"...
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #39
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
deleted

Last edited by martienne; 06-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #40
manacap
manacap began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
So how can we purchase these? On his website irex covers are marked as "out of stock"...
You could probably send an e-mail to ask when they will be in stock. When I ordered mine, I got an e-mail a few days later telling me how long it would be before the order came in and if I wanted to wait or cancel the order.
manacap is offline   Reply With Quote