Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
A link to an essay by Benjamin Hoff (Author of Tao of Pooh, and others)

Given some conversations on publishers on other threads, I thought I'd include this link to the website of the author of one of my favourite books... It includes an essay on why he'd decided to quit writing - which is fairly bleak reading, but does make one re-evaluate the position of Publishers...

The link is here: http://www.benjaminhoffauthor.com/
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
"Fairly bleak reading" is an understatement. After reading Benjamin Hoff's essay, I feel like I want to hit somebody ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
I hope someone is able to contact him and let him know of the changes in the book world, especially the advent of an author being able to access the electronic book marketplace *without* a publisher, or with an indie publisher. (very similar to what's happening in the music world).

I'd very much like to see Benjamin Hoff @ fictionwise, amazon, etc -- he could even sell paper versions of his books directly through the use of the amazon supplied services (amazon payments, shipping, etc).
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Ironically, the only Benjamin Hoff book I can find available for sale as an ebook is The House on the Point which is the book that was changed without Hoff's permission.

I love his books on Taoism.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
years ago, i loved the tao of pooh and when the tao of piglet came out, i wondered at the difference in tone. sadly i wonder no longer

his work is still sold on amazon, among others -
http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Pooh-Pigle...3014677&sr=8-1
the te of piglet is also available through amazon, and the other books used through the marketplace.

seems like publishers, the movie and music industry are devoid of any human feelings during work hours, and also of any idea of how to make money these days. common sense ain't so common. reading how his work was treated was very sad.

btw, i tried writing him through domainsbyproxy, which is the privacy guard he's using on his domain. i don't know if he'll get it, but i hope so.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Ouch.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I know the feeling. That's why I now publish my own books digitally.

If Mr Hoff thinks the publishing industry is bad, he should try Hollywood!

Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote