Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
kassart
kassart began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom
Fetching metadata with CLI

I know about fetch-ebook-metadata, but I can't figure out how to use it properly with my library. What exactly do I need to do to fetch and attach the downloaded metadata?

I need to do this with a CLI as I run calibre on my headless ubuntu server.

I installed from the official calibre site, I did not use the package in apt.
kassart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
`fetch-ebook-metadata` is not a CLI for the library, it is a CLI for individual books.
  1. You can use ebook-meta or `calibredb show_metadata $id` or read the OPF file, in order to get the current title/author/ISBN for a book.
  2. Then `fetch-ebook-metadata` can retrieve new metadata from online, and print it to OPF format.
  3. `ebook-meta` or `calibredb set_metadata` can then save the retrieved metadata using the OPF from step two.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-03-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: consistent ordering
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
kassart

I got through to step 2, but where does it save the metadata opf? It wasn't in my active directory
Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is printed to stdout (did you try it and see?), so you will have to redirect it to a tmpfile or perhaps do something with named pipes.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
kassart

I used "-o test.opf" and the opf was nowhere to be found
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
kassart

Ok so I think I got it with
Code:
$ fetch-ebook-metadata -t "title" -a "author" -o metadata.opf > metadata.opf
$ ebook-meta --from-opf metadata.opf "/path/to/book"
But now I have restarted my server and the new metadata isn't showing up in the book whose metadata I edited. What did I do wrong? The ebook-meta displayed original and changed metadata.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

`ebook-meta` only modifies the metadata inside the book, not the library metadata. This is true in the GUI and it doesn't change when using the command-line.

That is why my instructions above referenced the `calibredb` commands, for manipulating the metadata inside the calibre library database.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
kassart

See you put ebook-meta first so I figured it would be the better of the commands
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
kassart

That worked though, thank you very much for your help
Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassart View Post
See you put ebook-meta first so I figured it would be the better of the commands
I guess that is true, sorry.

Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to check the help for any command you have just learned about, rather than simply running it blindly.

Tags
cli, metadata