Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So What Did You Buy With Your CONNECT Credit?

Here's what I got:

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (loved the movie and figured the book MUST be better)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (who doesn't love a post-apocalyptic survival story?)
Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman (enjoyed his Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs)
Chuck Klosterman IV by Chuck Klosterman (same as above)
Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley (read his first autobio and liked it)
Every Tongue Got to Confess by Zora Neale Hurston (loved Their Eyes Were Watching God)

Altogether, I only ended up paying only $1.10 out of my own pocket. The Mick Foley book was almost twice as expensive as everything else, so I could have had another book or two... I was very tempted to add Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate to my order, but I didn't feel like giving the CONNECT store any more revenue.

I haven't mentioned any Classics because I believe they don't expire tonight (but I may be wrong). In any case, no worries as I'm pretty sure 100% of them are available at gutenberg.org.

So what did everyone else get?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
I bought just 4 books:

Roma by S. Saylor ~20-21$ - read it partially from the library but didn't get to buy it in print so it was the first book I got - being a big fan of Mr. Saylor Roma sub Rosa series but hating multi generational books about a place I was not sure about this book that covers 1000 years of Rome's prehistory and history in several episodes about key moments with a bit of fantastic thrown in (1000 BC to Augustus and the birth of Christ); after reading it end to end I have to say that this is an excellent book with absolutely memorable characters

Superluminal by T. Daniel ~6$ - this one I have in hc but wanted to show my appreciation and maybe one more sale will convince Mr. Daniel publishers to give him a contract for the final book of the trilogy which right now is in limbo

The Name of the Wind by P. Rothfuss ~20-21$ - the one fantasy debut that rivals GRR Games of Thrones and Goodkind's debut in sales; read it from the library and used the credit to get it too - it's a truly excellent book

How We Play the Game in Salt Lake and Other Stories ~4$ - collection by M. Shayne Bell - this was a filler to get to 50$ (I ended spending 1$ extra) but I enjoyed it quite a lot
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
This is actually a recurrent question.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11510

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=books+connect

(I am pretty sure there are more.)

I bought:
  1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (so far it's the only one I've read: I loved it).
  2. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.
  3. Snow by Orhan Pamuk.
  4. The Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb
  5. Red Mars and Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
  6. Tau Zero by Poul Anderson
  7. Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg

Last edited by Andanzas; 09-01-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never bothered to register my Reader. Didn't buy anything .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Never bothered to register my Reader. Didn't buy anything .
Could not say it better
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
1.The Road by Cormac McCarthy (excellent)
2.alpha & omega - charles seife (best scince book since the universe next door)
3.rightous man - sam bourne
4.woman in white - wilkie collins
5. a short history of everything - bill bryson

even though i did not buy it from connect the most interesting book i have read this last month is a book called god debris - a thought experiement the whole book is basically a conversation between a postman and an old man you have to read it and then prove the old man argument wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Debris - this is the wikki

i can't post the book because that would break the sites rules but if you type GOD'S DEBRIS into google there is a free pdf version availible

he also has a book called The Religion War which is the same concept but i have not read it yet
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
5. a short history of everything - bill bryson
I was thinking of buying this one. How is the formatting?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was consider A Short History of Everything as well, but I heard that the illustrated edition is way better than the regular version. I guess I'd rather buy that one as a hard copy or get it at the library.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Still waiting/hoping for my credit. If I do get it, I plan to pick up the Harry Turtledove Worldwar and Colonization series of books.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Let's see, I had two $50 credits... So here's the full list:

1. Winning by Jack and Suzy Welch
2. Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow by Maria Coffey
3. Where Have All The Leaders Gone by Lee Iacocca
4. Foundation Bundle by Asimov
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
6. Up Country by Nelson DeMille
7. Spook Country by William Gibson
8. Confessions of a Tax Collector by Richard Yancey
9. Holy Bible NIV version by International Bible Society
10. The Final Reflection by John M. Ford (Star Trek)

(I'm not sure on the first five how far my credit went - I think I may have actually bought On Writing and may have paid for part of the Foundation bundle also... After d/l ing thirty two classics my payment history no longer covers my first credit period.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
1776 by David McCullough
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose
Thirteen by Richard K. Morgon
The Ultimate Book of useless Information by Noel Botham (a great bathroom companion...actually very much like Uncle John's bathroom readers)
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

I went over by like 43 cents or something.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I couldn't register since Connect won't install under Linux (or a virtualised XP). But I did look at the selection offered in the Connect store. Given my interests, I couldn't have spent $99 in there had I been able to try.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Let's see, I had two $50 credits... So here's the full list:

1. Winning by Jack and Suzy Welch
2. Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow by Maria Coffey
3. Where Have All The Leaders Gone by Lee Iacocca
4. Foundation Bundle by Asimov
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
6. Up Country by Nelson DeMille
7. Spook Country by William Gibson
8. Confessions of a Tax Collector by Richard Yancey
9. Holy Bible NIV version by International Bible Society
10. The Final Reflection by John M. Ford (Star Trek)

(I'm not sure on the first five how far my credit went - I think I may have actually bought On Writing and may have paid for part of the Foundation bundle also... After d/l ing thirty two classics my payment history no longer covers my first credit period.)
I see you purchased a Star Trek book. Have you been reading some of the new Trek books? They are quite good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I see you purchased a Star Trek book. Have you been reading some of the new Trek books? They are quite good.
I've read about 75 of the TOS novels, a smattering of the other series. Picking this up was an impulse buy because it was so cheap - I've already got paperback and eReader versions of it.

I know Christopher Bennett and Keith R.A. DeCandido (well, had conversations with both and met one in person- don't want to make it seem like they're best buddies....) I still follow their stuff, and enjoy a lot of the 'classic' authors who are still writing (Duane, Carey, Perry, others...)

But I started to lose interest when TOS got up into the 90s or so and all of a sudden it was all arcs and experimental lines (New Frontier, SCA - though I've read some, IKS Gorkon, etc. etc.) It's not that I never buy new books, but I've got to have a reason to buy it, where in the old days I'd buy it without looking at the cover. Of course they were $4-$6 back then...

I unfortunately bought two others at the same time as Final Reflection - Spock's World and Enterprise: Broken Bow. (Already have Spock's World in hardcover and paperback, and of course saw the other which is the novelization of the Enterprise series pilot.) And I was somewhat disappointed in both. Spock's World is clearly a conversion from another format, as italicized words runtogether at least once in eachparagraph or sentence that's italicized.

Enterprise:Broken Bow was very poorly formatted, to wit: The left and right margins are literally 10/16ths inch. (!) So the readable text area is just over 2 1/4 inches. I gave up after page 5.

And in both of them, the Small text is not over 8 pitch - in fact I think it's 6 or 7. Medium is minimum for any readability, and large is what I keep in on - even though I use medium very nicely for almost any purchased eBook.

(Sorry to vent - there's another thread for that.... But I definitely feel like I got less than I paid for on those two - and they were cheap. And Final Reflection has had maybe two typos that weren't in the original paperback, and one that was, but is very readable.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i can't seem to find Rothfuss's Name of the Wind at the Sony Store (no surprise there).....how did you go about finding that one.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote