Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Chambers, Robert W.: The King in Yellow .v1. 13 June 07

Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow greatly influenced Lovecraft's work, especially in the realm of Cosmic Terror, one that seems to have no direct "center".

This "novel" is actually a series of short stories centered around a play (or book) that, when read, drives the reader mad.

This is what Lovecraft said about the book:

"The King in Yellow, [is] a series of vaguely connected short stories having as a background a monstrous and suppressed book whose perusal brings fright, madness and spectral tragedy."

Here's what one internet reviewers writes:

"The first four stories, 'The Repairer of Reputations,' 'The Mask,' 'In the Court of the Dragon,' and 'The Yellow Sign,' concern people who have come across copies of the rare and banned play. Horrific tragedy strikes all who remain sane after reading it. The middle two tales are a classic ghost story and a poetic, mystical trifle. The last four tales harken back to Chambers's first novel, revolving around the Paris student art scene but all involve some small, eerie twist."

This is an important book in the horror genre and, as such, it has had a tremendous impact upon the development and current perception of horror writing.

I hope you enjoy it.

P.S.: (Don't let some of "prefatory" material in French -- one or two short paragraphs - turn you off of this eerie collections of stories.)

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The King in Yellow.lrf (248.5 KB, 1572 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-13-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
OK.
You have persuaded me.
To download this book.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
A real gem,one of the greates books ever writen.If you dont read the stories starting with "the street" and rue baréé,("rue" is also a street in french,by the way) ,which are all romantic stories,youll do fine.Its a realy powerfull book.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
However-I would advise anyone AGAINST reading any of the Street stories-I have read them all myself and failed to see any "eerie twist" in any of the four .
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Just been reading about this elsewhere, decided to see if it was here, and lo and behold! Thank you!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You're welcome! Glad to oblige.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Oh, Doctor . . .

Have you noticed there's currently a renascence of interest in The King in Yellow due to the popularity of the series, True Detective? I haven't seen said series yet, but writer friends who normally don't even admit to watching television have been gushing about it for months, quibbling about lines paraphrased from William Burroughs ("Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in") and discussing the point at which appropriation becomes theft.

Apparently, one's understanding of the series hinges on the book you've added to MR's library.

I could certainly convert the book to epub in Calibre (which I will), but since you've put so much work into your edition already, and since said edition could be overlooked by googlers in its present format, I wonder whether you might have an interest in uploading an epub and/or mobi edition.

Even so, I'm going to link to your lrf edition in the FB discussion I'm having with friends (strange that we talk there even though I see these people in real life).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-15-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Have you noticed there's currently a renascence of interest in The King in Yellow due to the popularity of the series, True Detective?
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
It's true, salty horse: people who weren't even aware of Cioran or Ligotti -- let alone this book -- have suddenly expressed an interest in reading The King in Yellow.

I'm more interested in their choosing to read books they normally wouldn't than I am in caring about whether their motivation comes from a mainstream source. People have been reading Schopenhauer, too, as a result of TD, which I think is terrific.

Your blushing emoticon could mean that you were either brought here by an interest in True Detective yourself or are embarrassed that I mentioned the series. Either way, no worries.

Which brings us back to my reason for posting: Though Don's edition of The King in Yellow can be easily converted to ePub and mobi in Calibre, people's searches for those versions won't take them to Mobile Read and to his hard work. That seems a shame.

Sadly, I have now seen TD and find that its relegation of nihilism and pessimism to a single character who ultimately opts for "the light" doesn't do justice to the series' supposed sources. But if Nic Pizzolatto's reading list compels people to sample more classic, vintage and/or obscure writers than they normally would, then he's done something right.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-15-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Your blushing emoticon could mean that you were either brought here by an interest in True Detective yourself or are embarrassed that I mentioned the series. Either way, no worries.
I saw the reference in True Detective, and thought I might as well read the book sometimes. You were correct in your assessment . I have merely added it to my ever growing to-read pile, though. I am not a fan of horror, but I've read a few Lovecraft stories, and have enjoyed some "New Weird" fiction.

Quote:
Which brings us back to my reason for posting: Though Don's edition of The King in Yellow can be easily converted to ePub and mobi in Calibre, people's searches for those versions won't take them to Mobile Read and to his hard work. That seems a shame.
I prefer to look for hand-crafted files in Mobileread than "gamble" on the quality of other sources such as Gutenberg. I appreciate all of the forum members' hard work.

Quote:
Sadly, I have now seen TD and find that its relegation of nihilism and pessimism to a single character who ultimately opts for "the light" doesn't do justice to the series' supposed sources. But if Nic Pizzolatto's reading list compels people to sample more classic, vintage and/or obscure writers than they normally would, then he's done something right.
Agreed on both counts.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote